what ways can you sex ring necked doves?

Discussion in 'Pigeons and Doves' started by Ducklove334, Jan 4, 2009.

1. Ducklove334

Ducklove334 Off to another pond

Nov 4, 2008
    Virginia
    we have had our pair of ringnecks for alittle over a month or so now,

within just a few days of us having them they began to build a nest in one of thier food bowls, where they continued to nest, they soon layed eggs, the first two eggs, they burried in the bottom of the bowl with more hay, then layed two more, wich after a few days, they casted out of the nest, layed one more about two weeks later, threw it out, now they've got two more eggs that they have been sitting on for about 4 days now.I havn't SEEN them mate.

they are SUPPOSED to be a male and female pair,

one is lighter than the other and slightly smaller, has pink legs and beak and yellowish eyes, the other is alittle rounder, darker, has blue/grey legs and beak and has red eyes. that one is the one whos on the nest more.

the one with pink legs will coo, they both coo actually.

but will jump up into the air and flap it's wings and make a wierd noise, wich i read was a male behavior, the other doesn't do this..I'm just curious cause I WANT DOVE BEEBEES!!!

any dove experts out thar?? [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 4, 2009
  2. Feathered Wings

Feathered Wings Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2008
    Georgia
    A male ring neck will Bow Coo which means he will coo as he is bowing his head.
    He will also chase other doves and make a noise my husband refers to as a busted speaker and try to jump on their backs.

A female is usually silent but sometimes will make soft sounds.
    I have heard them in the nest makeing a soft coo noise. They also have a very laid back sweet personality.

3. Ducklove334

Nov 4, 2008
    Virginia
    I THINK the one with the pink legs has a more....."normal" sounding coo, the other one sounds like it's coo is busted, if that makes since, they both make this...."laughing" sound, I've seen them both sit on a branch with thier heads bend down ans cooing?? BUT one of them HAS to be a girl unless I got egg layin boys xD

4. Feathered Wings

Feathered Wings Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2008
    Georgia
    You may have the first ever bow cooing female [​IMG]

Well one is definately a female if your getting eggs.

If theres only 2 eggs and they are both sitting on them sounds like you have a pair.
    If it was 2 females there would be 4 eggs if it was 2 males there would be no eggs.

Unless it's 2 females laying at different times. Do they both coo exactly alike or is it different? A male has a loud coo and a female has a soft one if at all?

5. Ducklove334

Nov 4, 2008
    Virginia
    one is loud and clear (not sure wich one, they really only coo early morning, or when we are out of the room (kinda like our Starling used to only talk and vocallize when we were in the other room :O)

and the other coos kind of gargley, Half-arse cooing xD

I thought at one point that they were both female because they had four eggs, not brodding them at once, 1 set of eggs they pushed to the bottom of the nest and continued building ontop of them. there hasn't ever been four eggs at once. they seem to be more intent on these eggs, I may candle them in a few days to see if they're fertile or not.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by