What we do with chicken in Louisiana when its cold outside!! Graphic!

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by Mgui35, Feb 3, 2011.

1. Mgui35

Mgui35 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 25, 2010
    Sulphur Louisiana
    This is gumbo. The best food that I know when its cold outside. Show me your cold weather food pics!! I love the food from here in Louisiana. [​IMG]

2. BettyR

BettyR Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2008
    Texas Gulf Coast
    Beautiful!!!!

That looks a lot like my gumbo except that I boil my chicken whole and pull the meat off the bone. I'm lazy and I don't like having to mess with the bones when I'm eating my gumbo. You've got my mouth watering, I'm going to make a pot for supper. We serve ours with lots of rice, homemade bread, and some homemade bread and butter pickles.

This is one of our favorite cold weather recipes, although like the gumbo we eat this all year long. (Sorry no pictures)

Chili With Small Red Beans

Ingredients

1 (16 ounce) package small red beans, picked through and washed
    9 cups water

2 pounds lean ground beef
    2 medium onions – diced
    2 stalks celery – diced
    1 medium bell pepper – diced
    6 cloves garlic – minced
    3 tablespoons oil
    1 package French’s Chili-O – chili seasoning mix
    1 package Old El Paso (Hot and Spicy) – taco seasoning mix
    1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes
    1 (12 ounce) can tomato paste
    1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
    3 beef bullion cubes
    1 chicken bullion cubes
    4 cups water

Directions
    1. In a pressure cooker, cook the beans and 9 cups of water for 10 minutes. Turn off heat and let sit for 25 minutes. Drain and set aside.
    2. In a large stew pot, add the oil and cook the vegetables until they are fairly soft. Add the meat, crumble and cook until it is no longer pink.
    3. Add seasoning packets and stir well.
    4. Add diced tomatoes, both cans of tomato paste, bullion cubes and 4 cups water stirring well.
    5. Add beans and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a very slow simmer and simmer covered for 1 hour stirring every 10 to 15 minutes.
    6. Serve with some grated cheese, a dollop of sour cream and buttered crackers.

3. Jen4

Jen4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2008
    Munfordville, KY
  4. BettyR

Mar 1, 2008
    Texas Gulf Coast
    Quote:OK, you can't post something that pretty and not post a recipe.

5. Mgui35

Dec 25, 2010
    Sulphur Louisiana
    Ok here goes: Ingredients:
    1 cup cooking oil
    1 cup flour
    green onions 1 bunch
    one pack of chicken (we like legs and thighs but anything works)
    2 pounds of sausage
    Seasoning .... Tony chacheres is good but slap yo mama or balls is good too.

First make a rue by heating the cooking oil on medium heat. Then add the flour and stir slowly until it is a rich brown color. Add a handful of green onions and keep stirring for a few more seconds until the onions are cooked down into the rue. Take the skillet off the burner and set aside. We like to use a black iron skillet to make our rue. In a large pot boil some water and add chicken, sausage, green onions, and rue. Add seasoning to taste. On a slow boil cook until the chicken is tender and starting to fall off the bone. Stir the pot occasianally and it will be necessary to take some of the oil off the top of the water. Serve over a bowl of rice. You can also add turkey necks, boiled eggs, ocra, or darn near anything to the gumbo. Its all good!! Potato salad and crackers are superb additions to add to the gumbo as well. Hope that this helps. I have eaten gumbo up north and it taste like a weak soup. For a true gumbo the secret is all in the rue. GOOD LUCK!! Karys and Richards makes a pretty good rue if you want a decent gumbo without the trouble of making the rue.

6. BettyR

Mar 1, 2008
    Texas Gulf Coast
    Quote:This is how we make ours...

Grandma’s Chicken Gumbo

Make a dark roux with 2 cups of flour and some oil.
    (You can buy ready made roux but homemade is the best)

1-1/2 gallons water
    1 large hen (an old hen makes the best gumbo)
    6 chicken bullion cubes
    2 pounds of good smoked sausage (Cut into bite size pieces)
    1 large onion (Chopped)
    1 bell pepper
    2 tablespoons liquid smoke (leave this out if using smoked meat)
    4 cloves of garlic
    1/2 bunch parsley (chopped)
    1 bunch green onions (chopped)
    Salt and pepper to taste

Make your roux. Cut the chicken in half and place it in a large stockpot with the water and the rest of the ingredients. Simmer uncovered for a couple of hours, or until chicken is tender and falling off the bone, remove the chicken from the pot place it in a bowl and put it in the refrigerator to cool. Turn the fire off under the pot, allow to sit while chicken is cooling, all the fat will rise to the top.

With a large spoon skim fat off the top of the gumbo.

Pick the chicken off the bone and add it back to the pot and heat it through; season with salt and pepper to taste.

You can substitute just about anything for the chicken. Wild game works very well, squirrels, ducks, geese, rabbits, turkey, quail, pheasant. Just make sure to simmer it long enough to get it tender.

Serve over rice in soup bowls.

7. Baralak

Baralak Chillin' With My Peeps

That's what I made night before last... LOL..

YEAH!!!

8. feather and mountain man

feather and mountain man Corn fed Indiana farmgirl

Jan 17, 2010
    I made alligator gumbo tonight. YUM YUM

9. Mgui35

Dec 25, 2010
    Sulphur Louisiana
    Oh yeah! Its gumbo for the win. I knew that people would be cooking lots of gumbo in this weather.

10. cazyaniamllover

cazyaniamllover Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2011
    [​IMG] HaHaHa it looks just like my grandpa makes for his dog [​IMG] i wish he make it for real people and not his dogs and my cats

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by