What WEIRD treats do your chickens like?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by CinnamonQueen, Dec 8, 2012.

1. CinnamonQueen

CinnamonQueen Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2012
    Texas
    I didn't expect my chickens to like rose petals. The leaves they won't touch, but the petals... They jump for them and our rosebushes are typically bare on the bottom. They also like small snakes- i posted about that in another thread. And ice cream. They like that too.
    So, any weird treats?

Last edited: Dec 8, 2012
  2. kian

kian Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 20, 2012
    Lancaster, CA
    Well, mine seem to like the leaves on my blackberry bush quite a bit. There isn't much to forage in our backyard, all their treats and greens come straight from me, so the only 'different' thing is the blackberry. It does crack me up seeing what they do and don't like though!

3. AZCowboy

AZCowboy Out Of The Brooder

Dec 4, 2012
    My chickens die for mealworms. You can get them at Walmart.

4. TheSpiceGirls

TheSpiceGirls Overrun With Chickens

Oct 6, 2010
    Bay Area, CA
    Banana. OMG, do NOT try and eat one in front of them.

5. kian

kian Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 20, 2012
    Lancaster, CA
    Mine love banana too!!

6. sweetjustice

sweetjustice New Egg

Dec 29, 2011
    Portand/Salem Oregon
    I have a 1½yo Buff Orpington house chicken. She can be quite picky at times, wanting nothing to do with things you would think a Chicken would like. The weirdest treat she LOVES is ice cubes! She hears the trays being cracked and she comes running, sliding around the corner to beg for some. We try to crush them up but if a big one falls on the floor she gobbles it up no problem. It's cute watching her chase the little pieces all over the floor.

7. Nutcase

Nutcase Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2012
    Australia
    My Coop
    Mine aren't so keen on bananas for some reason - but we're all different so why shouldn't they be? They absolutely LOVE porridge though

8. TheSpiceGirls

TheSpiceGirls Overrun With Chickens

Oct 6, 2010
    Bay Area, CA
    Here's my Jersey Giant rolling my DH for his banana. Watch towards the end when she finishes her half. She start eyeing the other half over on the table. She LOVES banana.

1 person likes this.
  9. melina90

melina90 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2012
    Ringerike, Norway
    My chickens love the pooridge I make for the horses. I always prepare it early and keep it ready for the evening when the horses are brought inside, but that had to stop when the freerange chickens found out how good it was. Now I have to keep a lid on it, or they'll literally jump into the buckets almost before I can put it on the ground.

10. sniemeyer

sniemeyer Out Of The Brooder

Aug 31, 2012
    Boulder, CO
    Rasins! Mine come in a stampede when they hear a rasin bag open.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by