What WEIRD treats do your chickens like?

CinnamonQueen

Songster
7 Years
Nov 2, 2012
Texas
I didn't expect my chickens to like rose petals. The leaves they won't touch, but the petals... They jump for them and our rosebushes are typically bare on the bottom. They also like small snakes- i posted about that in another thread. And ice cream. They like that too.
So, any weird treats?

Last edited:
Well, mine seem to like the leaves on my blackberry bush quite a bit. There isn't much to forage in our backyard, all their treats and greens come straight from me, so the only 'different' thing is the blackberry. It does crack me up seeing what they do and don't like though!

I have a 1½yo Buff Orpington house chicken. She can be quite picky at times, wanting nothing to do with things you would think a Chicken would like. The weirdest treat she LOVES is ice cubes! She hears the trays being cracked and she comes running, sliding around the corner to beg for some. We try to crush them up but if a big one falls on the floor she gobbles it up no problem. It's cute watching her chase the little pieces all over the floor.

My chickens love the pooridge I make for the horses. I always prepare it early and keep it ready for the evening when the horses are brought inside, but that had to stop when the freerange chickens found out how good it was. Now I have to keep a lid on it, or they'll literally jump into the buckets almost before I can put it on the ground.

Back
Top Bottom