What went wrong? Dead chick and now I fear for others!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Suzie, Dec 3, 2013.

1. Suzie

Suzie Overrun With Chickens

Jul 9, 2009
    Auvergne
    Flirt disappeared a few weeks ago...long story but she was found by me in the hay loft with 12 chicks... I moved her into a stable with her charges three weeks ago.... the weather here has been extremely cold but Flirt always goes into her hay filled wooden box at night with her babies... all was well until this afternoon when I noticed one chick that was isolated from the rest... her/his feet were cold, so I decided to bring it into the house and put it in a warm environment, it was breathing heavily and closed its eyes... it was given some warm water which it managed to drink, it seemed to breathe more relaxed and I hoped that it would recover.

Half an hour ago sadly for me it died.

Now.... my dilemma is.... no poop from the chick...if it had pooped I may have suspected coccidiosis if it had traces of blood.

Should I as a precaution treat all of the others with amprolium? ( Just in case that was the cause )

Any suggestions would be much appreciated as to what the cause may have been and is it prudent to treat the 11 babies ( and Flirt ) with amprolium....

No evidence of lice/mites and the stable is disinfected.

The babies are three weeks old and have never come into contact with any other chickens from my flock, however, wild birds do enter the stable block.

Thanks for any input

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I would wonder if something was wrong internally with that chick, and that is why it was separated. Also, maybe it just got too cold? I have never had coccidiosis with chicks on the ground raised by a broody hen, but of course I"m sure it can happen. Is there a way that you could pen them up in to closely observe their dropping and behavior?

Last edited: Dec 3, 2013
  3. Suzie

Jul 9, 2009
    Auvergne
    Thanks for the response,

I have not seen any evidence of any blood so far in their droppings... all seems normal, they are isolated in their stable so I am hoping that I would have seen any bloody poop.

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    There is only blood in the stools of 2-3 strains out of 9 of coccidiosis. Diarrhea, puffing up, poor appetite, and lethargy are the usual signs.

5. Suzie

Jul 9, 2009
    Auvergne
    Thanks for your comments!

I have been observing the Broody and her chicks every half hour or so during the day.... all seem well, eating, drinking and active... no unusual poops anywhere.

Hopefully she was as you say maybe internally ill or she got too cold....

I will keep a watchful eye on them all and hope that nothing untoward happens... if so it may be a good idea to treat them all with amprolium.

Thanks again!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by