What went wrong - jelly-like goo left on chick after hatching

suburbanfarm

Chirping
Jan 5, 2021
I had a chick that had thick, jelly-like goo still in its shell and stuck on its body. Orange colour, so I assume it was part of the yolk .... But it wasn't a ball like a whole yolk sac.

What might this be, and what might be the cause? The other chicks hatched well. So I'm not sure if this was just a glitch that happens occasionally, or a temp problem?

I have had a few hatch like that, sticky or gooey, sometimes they make it fine, one did not. One I had to gently wash the goo off with warm water, under the bathroom heater. The goo was that bad. I suspect it has something to do with humidity being too high during hatch. All three had been late hatchers, so the humidity in the incubator was up near 80% the last two days before they hatched. I would try to let some of the air out, so I don’t know if that added to the issue.

I didn't get any pictures. Unfortunately the chick didn't make it. I'd cleaned it up and it seemed to be going ok at first, but it just faded over the next couple of days.

I think it was malpositioned and had two thirds pipped and got stuck. I think it had been like that for quite some time because it was fluffed up where the shell was open. I don't know how long because I couldn't see it until the other chicks had hatched and I moved the incubator around to see what was happening. I helped it get out of the shell.

How would a yolk sac break? Anything I need to do differently? Temp or humidity causing this?

You did all that you could for it. :hugs
In my experience it seems to happen every so often in hatches, especially with the late ones. I’m not sure if it’s humidity or something else. How are the rest of the batch doing?

Back
Top Bottom