What went wrong??? There is a chance to lose all my birds.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by epitidios, Jul 20, 2010.

1. epitidios

epitidios Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2010
    I went to the vet today. He said that i should stop the antibiotics for two days, and then if i see symptoms of swollen head syndrome, then i should start killing my chickens. There is a big chance to lose them all.... [​IMG]

What on Earth went wrong? I had them clean, feed them, and give clean fresh water every day. If the worst case scenario become reality, then i will stay with only one baby chick that i had isolated due to tape worm infection.

2. oesdog

oesdog Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2010
    Ireland
    Sorry mate - can;t really say what went wrong maybe you will never know. - Thoughts are with you though and I know if you have to cull it is gonna be sooo hard to do.
    All I can say is be very careful with the issolated chick (scrub ! Use medi scrub and never touch it after the others!!!!!!!!) Guard it! As you say it may be the only one to survive this thing.

Hard for you to start over. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. jenjscott

jenjscott Mosquito Beach Poultry

May 24, 2008
    Southeast Arkansas
    Have one autopsied by your state vet. There are several diseases that present this way, and they will do the definitive testing and let you know if there are any alternatives. (not sure what tests your vet has done). This doesn't mean that you did anything wrong. Diseases like this usually come in with new birds that are carriers and sometimes they have no symptoms. There is even a slight chance that it was contracted from wild birds. Your Livestock and poultry commission or equivalent should be able to give you a lot of information on biosecurity measures so you can help prevent this from happening again

4. epitidios

Jun 30, 2010
    He is pretty sure that is Swollen head syndrome. I took one bird there. I will make a break on the antibiotics for 2 days and then i will start another round. If the symptoms continue then i will have to kill them all. These birds are my first ever flock. It will be really difficult to do this... [​IMG] 15 chickens and 2 turkeys...

5. OhMyItsAndyy

OhMyItsAndyy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 22, 2009
    West England
    This really is so sad to hear. But you've done what you could for your birds. You've tried to keep them safe and healthy, and it's just been one of those things. And 15 chickens and two turkeys is alot of vet bills. It's a real shame. My thoughts are with you, and I hope the god they recover xxx [​IMG]

6. Rohnasmom

Rohnasmom Out Of The Brooder

Jan 4, 2010
    Bradford County .Pa.
    Just the thought of your pain, breaks my heart. I have never heard of swollen head will do some research so I know what to watch out for...Prayers are with you. Let us know how you make out.

7. jenjscott

jenjscott Mosquito Beach Poultry

May 24, 2008
    Southeast Arkansas
    Merck manual says persistence of the virus has not been demonstrated, so I don't know why you would have to cull them all. MG, on the other hand, will have carriers even after the symptoms have subsided.

8. 500592

500592 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 23, 2009
    good luck with your chickens

9. epitidios

Jun 30, 2010
    Well, on Thursday i will start giving them the antibiotics again. I hope that their immune system can find a way to fight the virus. If after the 2nd round of antibiotics they are ok then there will be a party here.

10. epitidios

Jun 30, 2010
    So far they look ok. Some of them sneeze a bit but in general their look is normal. No weight loss, still lay eggs. I hope that they will skip it. I will start the antibiotics tomorrow again for five more days. That will make sure that no bacterial infection will put them down.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by