What went wrong? VERY GRAPHIC

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by wrestling_mom, Oct 1, 2011.

1. wrestling_mom

wrestling_mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 3, 2011
    Henderson County, NC
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    My husband and son did this for me, I just couldn't bring myself to do it. [​IMG] I did watch them, it was sad, but the one little guy just broke my heart. [​IMG] He looked so close. Could not turning them for about 12 hours on day 17 cause them to die?Or was it the humidity? These were the ones who had air cells at 18 days like a 10 day egg. They were definitely alive at lockdown.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2011
  2. HorseFeatherz NV

HorseFeatherz NV Eggink Chickens

They look to me like they died before lockdown - the yolk is fairly good size. Or if they were alive on day 18 - then they developed very slowly (check your bator temp).

If your air cell was small - like a day 10 air cell - on day 18............then I would say your humidity was too high for day 1-18 as not enough moisture evaporated from that egg.

Did any eggs from this clutch hatch? What was your humidity days 1-18 and then 18-21?

I would not worry about not turning for 12 hours - I don't think that was a problem at all.

3. wrestling_mom

Jun 3, 2011
    Henderson County, NC
    Quote:I'm glad about the turning, I felt BAD about that. I think the humidity stayed between 38 and 56, I had the rings filled part of the time. A couple eggs were put in a day later than the rest, but I think those three were marked as due on the 29th. The temp was 102 in a still air most of the time, but spiked twice to 104 on day 16/17. I just can't get over the one baby. he was so close.

4. The_Rooster_84

The_Rooster_84 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 29, 2011
    Out of 15 eggs from my serama only two hatched ... I opened them and 85% looked developed and the yolk was nearly gone irk what went wrong ... I got two that had life kicking when candled on Thursday before lockdown... Sunday was the hatch day and no pips.. getting discouraged

5. yinepu

yinepu Overrun With Chickens

there is too much liquid in those.. looks like your humidity was too high.. also is the left foot in the third pic deformed?

6. TedJan92_in_Idaho

TedJan92_in_Idaho Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2011
    Cocolalla Idaho
    I'm having the same problem with shipped eggs. Hatches close to 400 quail chicks from 420 eggs. Good I thought but then chickens don't want to come out. [​IMG]

7. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm

I would drop the temp by 1 degree assuming you are testing it at the top of the eggs an try to keep the humidity around 30 next try.

8. crazypetlady

crazypetlady Chillin' With My Peeps

Out of 15 eggs from my serama only two hatched

I'm having a harder time hatching Serama's than any other eggs, I'm not sure if they are just harder to hatch. I have some in noe 100.2 just above the egg and 39 humidity hopefully these will work out better than my lasst batch.​

9. wrestling_mom

Jun 3, 2011
    Henderson County, NC
    Quote:I set 30 more this weekend. The humidity is 22 and temp is 99. It got up to 102 yesterday, so I pulkled the last vent plug.

10. wrestling_mom

Jun 3, 2011
    Henderson County, NC
    Quote:Actually, it looks like the top arm is missing. wait they dont have arms. Something looks off.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by