What went wrong with these eggs (graphic pics)

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Fombellchicks, Mar 30, 2009.

1. Fombellchicks

Fombellchicks Out Of The Brooder

Mar 7, 2008
    Western PA
    Hi,
    I had my very first hatch of local eggs (not shipped). I started with 13, 12 looked good after 18 days so by day 23 we had 9 hatch and 3 either piped 1 little hole or nothing at all. Here are pictures of 2 of them. I carefully broke them open after 24 days and not seeing ANY movement at all.

1st one
    [​IMG]

and 2nd and 3rd one looked basically the same
    [​IMG]

I kept the humidity at 40% for the first 18 days then around 65-70% the last 5 days.

8 of the hatched chicks are doing great, 1 has issues (I have a separate post on it).

Can anybody give me an idea of what may have gone wrong with them? I did not expect a 100% hatch rate - so I am "ok" with my 1st success. I am just trying to figure out what happened to them.
    THANK YOU!

2. monarc23

monarc23 Coturnix Obsessed

Jul 18, 2008
    Indiana, Pennsylvania
    I'm no expert what so ever but the shine on the membrane makes me think they drowned?

edited to add the important thing is you got some congrats! [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 30, 2009
  3. meraucanamomma

meraucanamomma Out Of The Brooder

Jan 8, 2009
    Forsyth, GA
    I am so sorry about your babies. I lost one last night like your 1st picture. I had another I helped last night and it is doing okay. But I really don't know if she will make it or not.

I know it is hard losing them like that. [​IMG]

Good luck and it will be interesting to know what people will tell you on why this happened. You are brave to take pictures. I couldn't. I just cried and cried. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

RaNae:([​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

4. peaceful

peaceful Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2008
    BC Canada
    They do look very wet... Did the ones that hatched out seem ok/ have any problems?

5. TriciaHowe

TriciaHowe Mother Hen

Nov 11, 2008
    Trenton, FL
    70% humidity is usually too high. I don't like mine to go over 60% when hatching because as the chicks hatch and dry it can cause your humidity to go sky high. I think for your next hatch you should try and keep your hatching humidity a little lower and see if that helps.
    Sorry you lost some chicks [​IMG]

6. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    They look very wet, humidity problems are too high. I usually put mine around 30% but no higher than 40% and let it run dry every seven days. You really dont need to water your bator all the time or keeping the troughs full. I learned taht from the first time until someone posted to let it run dry every seven days until the third day you add more water in it and let it run dry while they are hatching. 1/2 cup is suffice for me.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by