What went wrong with this egg? Pip and fluid came out :(

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Hennypen, Apr 10, 2011.

1. Hennypen

Hennypen Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2009
    Just what the title said. When the chick pipped, fluid came out. Chick drowned.

All other 14 chicks made it out fine.

2. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    were the other chicks real wet? If they were wet I would think the humidity was too high. if not I would just think it a fluke, I have had it happen. Not sure if it is a small bacteria issue or what... sorry about your chick

3. Hennypen

Jun 14, 2009
    No the others were perfect.

4. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    If that one chick was just a day or two behind the others in development, there is a chance it absorbed more water in the air cell and did indeed drown when it first pipped.

AL

5. Hennypen

Jun 14, 2009
    If it were a day or two behind, why didn't it just not pip for another day or two?

6. Gypsy07

Gypsy07 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2010
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Any chance one corner of your bator could have a higher humidity than the rest of it? I know you can get hot and cool spots, but I don't know if you can get drier or wetter spots. It does sound weird that the rest of your chicks weren't soggy, but this one was.

7. Hennypen

Jun 14, 2009
    It's a 1588 hovabator w/blower. I wonder if I got water on it when adding water for humidity. Would that have done it?

8. Baralak

Baralak Chillin' With My Peeps

Na... I get water on my eggs all the time. a drop or two every few days won't cause it to have that much mosture inside the egg. You have to understand that nature will claim critters that arn't just right. Something must have been wrong with the chick during development for this to happen. It is ok and normal. And to be honest, if you have 14 hatched out of 15. You did GREAT!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by