What went wrong!!

jessfn

Hatching
Oct 22, 2016
South Yorkshire England
Hi all, just wondering if anyone could give me an insight to what went wrong with my hatch... temp and humidity have been running steady at correct levels in our home made forced air bator candles at day 10 and 18 before lock down all was good. Air sacks looked fine, humidity raised to a steady 65% and all eggs started rocking and moving on day 19... had our first pip on day 21 but he was malpositioned anyway day 22 and he hatched doing super well but the others stopped moving on day 21 now there's nothing! No signs of movement of pipping we're going into day 24 tonight and I'm pretty sure the others havnt made it! Heart breaking to get this far and only one hatch.. sweet pea is doing fine tho pure black silkie bantam. Can anyone hazard a guess as to what went wrong with the others 3 eggs?? I had 2 thermometers in their both reading the same so I'm 99.9% sure that all the correct terms etc were accurate and sweet pea is very strong not a week chick by any means. Any help would be appreciated.

Hi and welcome to BYC - always great to see another Tyke onboard. I'm new to using incubators, but do you think your RH was high enough at lockdown? I'm sure others will chime in with more experience, but I set my RH to 70 - 73% at lockdown (although I realise that there are variables that can influence what settings people use).

BTW - there's a Blighty thread that you may wish to pop in and say hello on -https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/655508/uk-member-please-say-hi/890

I hope that you get answers from the experts and that you future hatchings are a greater success.

Best wishes
CT

Thankyou for the reply... I did up the humidity slightly but yes maybe that was initially too low, I'm thinking the same really now.. the other thing im wondering is that I used a cheap bator at the start or the hatch we had teathing problems with ours and for the first day and had to move them into it, they were in there untill ours was settled 24 hrs later so maybe the move and specifics on that one caused initial problems, least I have one healthy baby who's navigating her/his way around the brooder. Just devastating to get that far and all look so positive and then to loose all but one,

Back
Top Bottom