What went wrong?????

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by MyAustin616, Jul 30, 2008.

1. MyAustin616

MyAustin616 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 22, 2008
    Gordonsville, VA
    Ok, so i know to let the eggs stay in for a few more days, but the one chick that has hatched, is bleeding from his naval i think, the other one that died had wha looked like yolk coming out of his butt... A few more have pip holes.. but they have been like that since early this AM... maybe i am used to my quail, usually when they had pip holes they would hatch in the next 4 or so hours... Grrrr. :mad:

2. Year of the Rooster

Year of the Rooster Sebright Savvy

Jun 27, 2008
    West Central Ohio
    The one(s) with the yolk coming out, did you keep them in the 'bator or did you put them in the brooder? If it was in the brooder then it probably didn't absorb the yolk all the way or it dried up.

3. hatchcrazzzy

hatchcrazzzy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2007
    kemp texas
    sounds like the heat was to low they can take up to 24 hours to hatch

4. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Hi, neighbor, I am in Orange Co., Va, too. [​IMG]

It can take 24 hours for a chick to hatch.

The yolk is not coming out of its butt. There is an unhealed naval which means the yolk was not full absorbed. Keep the chick in the incubator if you can. Give 24 hours and hope it closes over. Don't mess around with it.

The bleeding naval maybe just closing over. Don't mess with it either. Leave them in the incubator and give them time to heal over. At least 24 hours.

They need to be kept warm and let nature work its magic.

Hopefully the rough navals will heal over but sometimes the chicks die or end having to be culled.

What day of hatch are you on? What has your temps been? What did you keep the humidity at during the hatch?

With 2 hatching this way I am wondering if your humidity was too high. If this is an extended day of hatch you may have had some low temps as well.

Keep the incubator closed or you will compromise the rest of the hatch.

Keep posting what is happening with your hatch.

5. MyAustin616

MyAustin616 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 22, 2008
    Gordonsville, VA
    Thanks all.... ass i have been reading i think I kept the humidity too high. until i put them in the hatcher, it was 68%, then it went to 70%... i read somewhere that you were supposed to keep it high.. so have I ruined all of my eggs in there? Im on day 21.... but i have a bunch of eggs in there and i hope i didnt ruin them....

to miss prissy... Howdy neighbor, another orange countyian.. lol

6. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    It is best to keep the humidity around 40% during the first 18 days.

The eggs have to loose a lot of moisture before day 21 to hatch without problems. If you candle and watch the air cell in the last few days the air cell will grow to almost 1/3 the egg.

Let the hatch finish and see what happens. You may have a rough bloody hatch but the chicks dry out and be okay.

You are the 2nd person from around here I have run into on BYC. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by