What went wrong?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by TheRobertRalph, Feb 16, 2015.

1. TheRobertRalph

TheRobertRalph New Egg

Sep 6, 2014
    Princeton, KS
    We put a rooster with our hens mid-January. We kept eggs and incubated. About 36 in all inside a 48 egg incubator. One of these:

[​IMG]

We put this egg in there 01.23.2015 and I just cracked it open today, 02.16.2015. It had gone too long and I wondered what happened. We put the eggs in fat side down!!

[​IMG]

So, it obviously was fertilized and grew. Did we kill the chicken by putting the pat side down?

There were four like this. Three are still incubating. This was the one that I opened, obviously.

Also, out of all, there were about a dozen that started to grow and were about the size of a lima bean... but then stopped.

[​IMG]

The rest weren't fertilized which we expected as the rooster had only been in there a couple of days.

Suggestions, thoughts and advice are all welcome!!!

2. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

What do you mean 'fat side down'? Do you mean the small end of the egg was up?

3. enola

What temperature is your computer? How many thermometers do you have in the computer?

4. TheRobertRalph

TheRobertRalph New Egg

Sep 6, 2014
    Princeton, KS
    Yes, small end of the egg was up / fat end was down (Like you get them in the grocery store carton).

I only had one thermometer. The temp was 37 degrees Celsius.

5. enola

Please convert celsius to farenheit for this old lady? Position of eggs in incubators is generally on their side or fat end up. After looking at your pictures, the chicks died on different days.

6. FarmerMac

FarmerMac Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2014
    Virginia

I have a similar incubator, and had the same results. I found out that the temperature was the cause of the chicks not developing, only three hatched out of 20. I had the temperature at 37.7 which should be about 100 F. After those results I added two different thermometer/hygrometer to check the temperature and humidity. The temp was way off, now I have it at 38.1 C , the other thermometers read 99.5 and 100 F.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2015
  7. FarmerMac

Dec 28, 2014
    Virginia
    X2, air sack should be side up, pointy side down if you have them standing.

I forgot to mention that I keep the incubator inside the styrofoam container it came in to maintain the temperature constant, I cut a section on the top so I can read the digital display.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2015
  8. enola

There are air vents for aircircultion that probably got covered up.

9. FarmerMac

Dec 28, 2014
    Virginia
    Here is a picture of the set up. I used tape on the adge that I cut to prevent the styrofoam from coming appart. I cut two holes on top where the venst are located. As you can see the two thermometers/hugrometers show 99 degrees, the incubator reads 38.2. The humidity was off too. The last time, I had it at 37.8 so only 4 out of 20 made it, the last one I had to help but did not make it past teh second day. The other eggs had embryos that looked like the picture above.This tiem 4 out of 21 eggs did not make it..
    [​IMG]

Kept the lower part inside the container with the vent open for air circulation, Here is where I inserted one of the thermometer's cable.

[​IMG]

First chicks hatched on Friday morning.

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  10. PattiS72

PattiS72 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2011
    Old Town, FL
    I watched a video on youtube from some college professor. He was doing candling. He mentioned several times to turn the eggs. I always thought you shouldn't turn them. Now I'm wondering what's right?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by