What Were My Chicks Doing?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Sk8inChick(en), Apr 1, 2012.

1. Sk8inChick(en)

Sk8inChick(en) Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2011
    The Show-Me State
    Okay, so I know that isn't a very descriptive thread title, but I'm not sure what else to call it.

Earlier today, I had my two Light Brahma chicks (2 wks. old) outside for no more than 10 minutes, and they were doing the strangest thing.

One of them started to kind of drop its wing and foot, almost collapsing to one side. Then the other one did the exact same thing, and both of them look like they were panting (beaks were open). The outside temperature was about 90 degrees.

Can anyone tell me what this behavior means?

I would love to hear if anyone else has had the same experience. :)

Thank you!

2. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

They're sunning themselves. They stretch out their wings for two different reasons: one to capture more sunlight on cool days and the other to shed heat on hot days but still be able to enjoy the warmth of the sun.

Wait until they start to dust bathe! Trust me, it looks like a seizure but it's not.!
    [​IMG]

3. Erica

Erica Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 5, 2010
    I still get caught out occasionally thinking one is having a seizure... [​IMG]

4. Fierlin1182

Fierlin1182 powered-flight

Aug 26, 2011
    Stretching their wings, most likely. The foot goes out during a wing stretch too. :p
    As for dustbathing I was quite alarmed at first that one of them was going to poke itself in the eye. :lol:

5. gapeach717

gapeach717 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2012
    North, ga

welp, this has certainly saved me from a sure near heart attack later!!

6. Sk8inChick(en)

Sk8inChick(en) Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2011
    The Show-Me State
    Whew, that's a relief! Thanks, everyone! We took them out again today and they did the same thing. So funny how they do that...

7. Ilovemyduckies

Ilovemyduckies Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2012
    Mine do that too. I got two chicks and two ducklings, then the next day my sister got a chick and it kept doing this. I was a little alarmed at first and kept a close I on her and it has been over a week since them. I'm actually holding a chick right now, she did that then went to sleep like 5 minutes ago. I actually found this thread looking for an explanation on what chick was doing (opening it's mouth, stretching it's neck, then closing it). I had seen her do it before and saw a youtube video of a chick doing it so I wasn't worried, I just really wondered what it was. I think I found an explanation though. Haha, I remember when I first saw my two chickens dust bathing. I was like "what are you doing?" and they just gave me funny look. I only have one of the two chickens now, and she has a certain spot that she likes to dust bathe, never seen it any where else. It's kinda funny :D

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by