What why and how. Candeling?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by chknlitl, Jul 24, 2010.

1. chknlitl

chknlitl Out Of The Brooder

Apr 30, 2010
    Northwest Florida
    I would like to get an incubator. My local re-store has furniture grade used cabinets. I would like to make one, or is it cheaper to buy a low cost one. Brand new so right now dont want to spend a lot of money. I just want to learn how. Im gonna try on my quail eggs first. The name candeling is kind of self explanatory but when why and how do you do it. Also a local store sells fake eggs. They are not for decoration it looks like they could be used to help entice a hen to practice being broody.

2. mrslb333

mrslb333 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2010
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Candling is a way to see if the eggs are fertile I usually do it at day 7, 12 and 18 use a bright torch to light the fat end of the egg you are looking for veining and usually you can see the little chick move this link should help https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=261876 This is one of mine on day 7 [​IMG]
    Its a chicken egg but quail eggs are similar depending on which breed you have some can have really dark shells which make it a lot harder to see.
    As for the incubator It all depends on what you want to spend I use a cheap one I got off ebay but its probably just as cheap to make one.
    The plastic eggs I believe are to make hens broody them they get swapped for real ones I'm not 100% on that though as I have only used incubators.
    Hope that helps [​IMG]

3. Hi! A good starting place is to read all the links in the 'sticky thread' at the top of this page: Incubating & Hatching Eggs Important Topic Index.
    I will warn you, it is a slippery slope. I started incubating in '05 and have had eggs in incubators every day since then and chicks hatching every week / 10 days (my husband asked me the other day did I think I would ever 'burn out' on hatching [it was a rough couple of days], and the answer was 'No, never').
    Good luck!
    [​IMG]
    Lisa

4. chknlitl

chknlitl Out Of The Brooder

Apr 30, 2010
    Northwest Florida
    Thanks for the help. Ill post on my progress

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by