What will a barred rock rooster produce over any other type of hen (RIR, Gold Stars, etc.)

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Lady of McCamley, Aug 29, 2013.

1. Lady of McCamley

Lady of McCamley Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2011
    NW Oregon
    I've read the genetics thing here...but can't seem to re-find it. Not sure I understood it all, and definitely forgot this specific.

Can anyone tell me what a Barred Rock rooster would produce over general laying hen types:
    Gold Star/Red Star
    Black Star
    Welsummer mix (RIR/Welsummer)
    Leghorn mix
    Buff Wyandotte
    Delaware

Do I remember right that the barring is dominant...I think that is what I read????

But a number of the pairings would be 2nd generation mixes...so what happens then.

Considering keeping my 10 week old Barred Rock rooster, but curious as to what I'd get if I kept him and then hatched eggs from my layer flock....plus I have the added uncertainty that he is purebred. Those eggs I hatched that were "purebred" have not produced one pure anything...so he is barred and looks like a Barred Rock, but there is probably other genes floating around...or does that matter since the barring is dominant.

Thanks for helping me out of not spending a lot of reading time and brain power to figure this out.
    Lady of McCamley

2. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    If he's pure for barring, all his offspring will be barred. Pure for barring means he has 2 barring genes, he will be lighter overall than a female.

So, all offspring will be barred. The darker/black based birds will be part barred, and you won't be able to sex them by color like pure barred birds. The males and females will both be darker, like a pure barred female. The gold based birds may give you some pretty reddish gold barred birds.

If he's not pure for barring, he'll be darker in color like a pure barred hen. In this case, his offspring will be 50% barred, regardless of gender. I have 3 part barred roosters and hatched out some pretty hens this year, and some that are just pure black, and some that just look like barred rocks. I'll try to get one of my tech savvy kids to help me get pics up tomorrow! Problem is, I can only make guesses who the mommas are. But if you go to the chicken calculator, I think you could treat him as a black bird to look up what non-barred combos you could get with your birds. I don't think the calculator has a part-barred option [​IMG]

Do you have a pic of him?

Last edited: Aug 30, 2013
  3. Lady of McCamley

Mar 19, 2011
    NW Oregon
    I'm playing with the idea of keeping him if my daughter can't take him (they are preparing to move back to TN, or think they may, from the farm they've been working in ID).

I'll post below. I think he is double barred as he is lighter...he also has lighter bars across wings...you can see it in some light. However, I am sure he is not a pure barred rock as that grab bag of eggs (famous now on what breed or gender thread) was anything BUT pure breeds [​IMG] Got some pretty birds though...although a little too much game bird blood for my preference (not good laying types!)

Thanks for walking me through this. I read those calculators, my eyes cross, I loose an allele or two in the brain.... [​IMG] However, someday I would like to try breeding so I figure I'll have to get my head around this...how hard can it be, really!

Thanks again...I look forward to some pics of your crosses.

Lady of McCamley

My 11 week old Barred roo (just crowed his first crow this morning confirming [​IMG] )

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. donrae

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here are some of my chicks from Memorial Day. 8 chicks hatched, 7 of them had light headspots indicating barring. Including the pretty blue/grey girl on the bottom! You can see the barring a little in person, I want to try breeding her to an EE next spring and see if I get sex link babies. I just love her and the "calico" hen! That's why I like having a part barred rooster (okay, I actually have 3 lol), because of the possible mixes.

Like I said, though, no clue who mommas are. I have a pretty mixed flock, hatchery barred rocks, slw and glw, speckled sussex, red sex link, production red, easter eggers. Plus, two ee/leghorn mixes and some mixed from last year's hatch of the same part barred rooster. I tried to incubate mostly green eggs, but I'm guessing some brown ones were in there, too.

5. Lady of McCamley

Mar 19, 2011
    NW Oregon
    Thanks for the nice photos.

Your Calico girls is pretty...but that blue grey one is stunning.

Okay...it gives me an idea of what the barring would do, assuming my mixed breed barred is dominant double barred.

Thanks again.
    Lady of McCamley

6. donrae

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I so love the grey one, I really wish I knew how to get more of her! I'd hatch out dozens in a heartbeat!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by