What will happen if a chicken is locked outside

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by youtubeminer, Nov 29, 2016.

1. youtubeminer

youtubeminer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2015
    What will happen if a chicken got locked outside of its coop or run for the whole night while is raining what will the chicken do during the whole night and will it get sick from all the rain?

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Hopefully it will find a safe place to roost and no predators will locate it. Unless it is really raining heavily and the bird becomes saturated, I doubt that it will become ill. Predation is another story. Good luck.

3. rosemarythyme

rosemarythyme Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2016
    Pac NW
    Once it gets dark they'll hunker down wherever they've taken shelter and wait it out for the night, even if it's raining. I recently had a pullet that didn't make it in the coop in time (on a rainy late afternoon) and we found her about 2 hrs later sitting with her head under the coop roof, but her tail end getting rained on. Picked her up, checked her over, then put her on the roost bar. She was fine the next morning.

4. mymilliefleur

mymilliefleur Keeper of the Flock

Nov 4, 2014
    East Tennessee.
    The biggest problem with getting locked out is predation. Rain shouln't hurt them unless it is cold, or very heavy. Even then they will probably be OK, though they may be a little chilled. I have had chickens roost in trees over night and they do just in fine. If one of your chickens does get soaked though it is probably a good idea to dry it off and get it warmed up.

5. lazy gardener

lazy gardener True BYC Addict

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    We once came home later than expected on a summer night. The door to the chicken run had blown closed, so they were not able to get back inside after free ranging all day. The entire group of them had climbed the full flight of steps to our deck, and were waiting on the top 2 steps for us! I grabbed a flash light, and went down the steps, calling them as I went. They all followed me just like I was a Pied Piper.

1 person likes this.
  6. youtubeminer

Jul 1, 2015
    Where do you think they go cuz my friends chickens live in the woods and once we left other chickens outside they jumped up the roof but I did a video of 10 chickens but there's only 9 and I'm worried sick about her dying and the time I check on them is 2:30 because it's rain and school

7. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    Here's my experience. On a few occasions, a chicken has become stranded outside the coop they usually roost in, although they were inside the secure run.

I make it a habit to check on the flock at roosting time to make sure there are no surprises, and I've seen a panicked chicken flinging herself against the outside of the coop, trying to get inside by sheer force, bashing her brains in the process.

Like I said, I've seen this on more than one occasion, so I have learned that chickens can panic when they can't get inside where they usually roost. It ain't pretty.

8. youtubeminer

Jul 1, 2015
    Well the chickens I see when they want to go outside they try to push the fence and try to kick the fence down

9. youtubeminer

Jul 1, 2015
    And I could be my fault for miscounting the chickens :(

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by