What will happen if a Silkie Rooster mated with non–Silkies?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by TheDocter21, Aug 17, 2018.

1. TheDocter21

TheDocter21 In the Brooder

Mar 25, 2018
    I accidentally got a Silkie rooster, since you can’t tell what they are when they are hatched. I have several other chickens besides silkies, we have 6 other breeds of chickens (Americaunas, Brahma, Buff Orpingtons, Wyandotes, Green Olivers, and one female Silkie) including his female counterpart. I was wondering what would happen if the Silkie rooster mated with the other non–Silkies? Would it be a bad thing? We don’t really want to crossbreed any chickens, but we are considering it. I know Silkie mixes can look really funky, but I fear what could go wrong.
    P.S.– we plan on hatching baby silkies, how do I know who’s eggs are whose?

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Free Ranging

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    The size of eggs should be an indication unless your other breeds are bantams.
    At any rate, silkies eggs are a different color than all the others. Ameraucanas and olive eggers will be various shades of green. Wyandottes, Orpingtons and Brahmas lay brown eggs. Silkies lay tiny tinted eggs.
    Hatching from any of the others will get you barnyard mutts.
    Mutts are still chickens.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2018
    aart and BreanneRN like this.
  3. BreanneRN

BreanneRN Songster

Jun 8, 2017
    Central CA
    But they will be really cute barnyard mutts! They will most likely have a crest, though not as full as the Silkie, most likely have 5 toes on each foot. They will have feathers instead of the Silkie fluff... They will be adorable and if they have a green egg laying mom, they might lay green eggs! Don't worry about accidently breeding crossbreds, you won't have babies unless you hatch the eggs... Silkie eggs are a light cream color, so you will know which ones are purebred... Unless that Silkie hen encourages the other roos to fence hop...

sourland likes this.
  4. BreanneRN

BreanneRN Songster

Jun 8, 2017
    Central CA
    Ideally, you would set up a breeding pen where you can confine the pair you want to breed and collect the eggs to be hatched until you have enough.

sourland likes this.
  5. ChickenCanoe

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Since all the non-silkie eggs will be obvious, a dedicated breeding pen won't be necessary. Just set silkie eggs and eat the rest.

aart, Folly's place and BreanneRN like this.
  6. BreanneRN

BreanneRN Songster

Jun 8, 2017
    Central CA
    I was thinking in case they decide to hatch some other breeds too... You never know!

ChickenCanoe likes this.
  7. ChickenCanoe

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Good point. But you can always use either a staggered hatch or pedigree bags in the incubator to differentiate chicks from one another. But, the pure silkie chicks should be obvious.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: