What will happen if my hen is not able to lay an egg?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by TrishChibas, Feb 2, 2012.

1. TrishChibas

TrishChibas Out Of The Brooder

Apr 9, 2009
    FL
    I'm wondering if anyone would know anything about this... My chickens lay 1 egg a day for me, everyday. My daughters teacher asked if I would bring a chicken to her school during the week themed 'farm life'. What if I take my chicken for an outing and she's not able to lay her egg??? Could something bad come of all this? Should I pass on the opportunity?

2. Ragladysews

Ragladysews Out Of The Brooder

Aug 25, 2011
    NW Georgia
    i dont think you can guarantee her laying an egg for them to see. she would probably to stessed to lay. I would take some eggs with you and maybe show the kids where the eggs come from.

3. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    That's very interesting. If you take your hen to school, she'll probably lay one egg and then maybe quit for a while. Chickens get very upset if you change their routine and surroundings. I don't think anything bad will happen to your hen, but she might stop laying for a little while. (This is just a guess.)

When I see people selling their chickens at a swap meet or auction, the hens often have an egg in their cage. This egg was already in their system, so they lay it. Then they quit laying because they're kind of worked up.

So I'm thinking that it won't hurt your hen at all, but it may interrupt her egg laying schedule.

Sharon

4. TrishChibas

Apr 9, 2009
    FL
    I'm not trying to get her to lay an egg at school, just don't want it to get stuck or anything because shes not able to lay it :)

5. TrishChibas

Apr 9, 2009
    FL
    Hmmm... Maybe I'll just pass. I don't want to stress them out. And they're such good little layers. LOL

6. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    It will not get 'stuck', but as chicmom has indicated the stress of the visit may cause her to stop laying for a period of time.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by