what will happen

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by 11langenkamp_w, Feb 8, 2009.

1. 11langenkamp_w

11langenkamp_w Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2008
    sidney, ohio
    If i take a a black sex link rooster and a black sexlink hen will the chicks still be sexible? Or do i have to have the barred rock rooster and the rhode island red hen i think that what it is to make a black sexlink.

2. jjparke

jjparke Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2008
    Boise
    First it's a RIR roo on a BR hen for black sex link and no you can't breed sex link on sex link with predictable results. Only first generation will have sex link qualities.

3. 11langenkamp_w

Aug 23, 2008
    sidney, ohio
    So your saying the chicks will come out fine but you wont be able to sex them?

4. minna

minna Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2008
    Burnsville, MS
    They will be mutts. There is no telling what you will get. It's not a fatal cross, so yes, they will be fine. But they will not be sex linked. The trait is not passed on. The way to get a black sex linked is to cross a Barred Rock hen with a red roo. They are bred for laying, not breeding.

5. 11langenkamp_w

Aug 23, 2008
    sidney, ohio
    alright but will these ones still be like all black with a little red or will they be all diffrent colors? Also will they still be good layers?

6. Harley's girl

Harley's girl Chillin' With My Peeps

Should still be a great layer. And as for color....you will just have to see. [​IMG] I think they would look fine.

7. duck&chickencrazy

duck&chickencrazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2008
    Indiana
    hmm i have some chicks that just hatched from a BR rooster and a RIR hen and i was wondering what will the colors be for the hens and roosters.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by