What will i get crossing these breeds?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by marlene, Feb 22, 2012.

1. marlene

marlene Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2011
    UK
    I have a light sussex roo and production reds hens, i am thinking of hatching some eggs from these.
    I am wondering what i will get, egg laying and meat wise and will they be able to be colour sexable?
    TIA

2. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

You would get mostly white chicks, I should think, specked with black, here and there, I think.

You will not get sex links. They'd inherit the egg laying of their parent stock and their physical size, for meat, would be quite minimal. Production reds are little, thin birds which are bred for laying (leghorn crossed) and have little muscle development or bone frame to provide meat. Tiny bodies, really.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2012
  3. marlene

Aug 17, 2011
    UK

Thank you Fred.
    I might be best crossing the LS roo with my Ixworth (english breed) hens then. They are dual purpose large breed and supposed to be good for the table, or so i read lol.

4. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

If your breeding goals are a quality carcass and good meat, always breed "up", trying to increase the body size and weight, while paying attention to health, vigor and feed conversion. Best regards,

5. draye

draye Overrun With Chickens

Nov 30, 2010
    Arkansas
    Send me some of those Ixworth, I have seen picture and I love them.

6. marlene

Aug 17, 2011
    UK
    They are very nice, first lot i have owned and i'm very pleased with them, and they are a good size bird and not bad layers.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by