What will I get????? if I cross this

flappinhappy

Chirping
8 Years
Oct 17, 2011
Palmetto, Fl.
I have WLR Cornish bantam roos and a few Barred rock bantam hens. I use the bantam for meat birds as there are just the 2 of us and a large breed bird is too much meat for just us. I realize they wont grow as "fast" as the meaties from the hatchery but am hoping that they will dress better than just the rock does any opinions on this?? I also have a few of the WLR Cornish hens and a couple of the Buff Brahmas but the brahmas don't lay well enough to sustain the flock and are not as feed thrifty.

There is no reason that you can't eat bantams.

With just 2 of us, we can't eat a Cornish Cross, either, but I raise Cornish Cross and I part them out before they are packaged and frozen. That way, I go to the freezer and take out one half breast, which is just right for the two of us. Or a package with 4 legs, which is what I need to simmer for the meat to make a pan of enchiladas.

I believe your cross would result in sex linked chicks, which could be a bonus. I see no reason why it wouldn't make a good cross for you, a nice small but meaty carcass.

What I do for the 2 of us is buy 25+ Cornish X chicks, feed them for about 35 days then process them as Game Hens - the same 2 lb +/ - Game Hens that one can buy at the grocery store as frozen or ready to eat. Way more efficient in terms of time ( 35 days vs months ) , labor, feed consumtion, and huge amount of meat to eat.
yesss.gif

Back
Top Bottom