What will I get if I crossbreed a pure breed rooster with a gold sexlink hen?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by kevm2017, May 5, 2017.

1. kevm2017

kevm2017 Out Of The Brooder

May 5, 2017
    Hi quick question I am lost here,, my neighbors red rhode rooster mated with my gold sexlink. I am wondering what color of chicks would I get if I decide to hatch her eggs?

2. chickengeorgeto

chickengeorgeto Overrun With Chickens

Dec 25, 2012
    [​IMG]

Sex linked chickens is not a strain an neither is any other sex linked bird. In order for the hatchery to avoid giving out their special proprietary gene mix there is really no information out there about what goes into and to what degree.

It will be easier to write the Coca Cola company and request an autographed copy of the Coke recipe.

I am sure that there is some good ideas of what color the chicks will be but that is gust an idea.

3. AmyLynn2374

AmyLynn2374 Humidity Queen

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY

:welcome. There are lots of folks around here that can wrap their head around the color genetics, that may be able to give you a better idea, but mixes can be tricky. I can tell you that breeding a sex link does not make the chicks a sex link. For example black sex links are a cross between RIR and barred rock. Their offspring are sex link, but you can't breed them and get sex linked chicks.

4. kevm2017

kevm2017 Out Of The Brooder

May 5, 2017
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I am not sure what breed is the hen a new Hampshire golden sex link

5. LLranch

LLranch Out Of The Brooder

Jan 15, 2017
    From my research the gold sex links comets and Cinnamon Queen sex links all have a Rhode Island red or New Hampshire red parent so breeding back to Rhode Island red you're going to end up will most likely look like Rhode Island red or New Hampshire red

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by