what will I need?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Myst4, Apr 30, 2008.

1. Myst4

Myst4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2008
    N.S., Canada
    Ok...it's day 17 for my EE and white leghorn eggs, I know I will need a box to put the chicks in, wood shavings, heat lamp,beginners feed(for chicks) and a water dish(with marbles or something it is with the water so they won't drown).Is there anything else I should have? Or should I have something different than wood shavings?

2. newdock

newdock Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2007
    British Columbia
    For the first couple of days, cover up the wood shavings with some paper towels. The chicks will try to eat them otherwise. Do not use newspaper...it is too slick for them to get sure footing.

Other than that...do you have some vitamins for the water? I always give them some vitamin water at first.

3. Myst4

Apr 1, 2008
    N.S., Canada
    Paper towel, never thought of that. Thanks. No, I haven't got any vitamin drops for them. Didn't know about them. Can you get them at a feed store(for farms)?

4. M.J

M.J Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2007
    Maryland
    yeah you can get them at a mill or such but you don't really need it

5. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    You really don't need the vits. unless there is a sick chick or they were shipped......

Its nice to have them on hand tho incase there would ever be one that needs it.....

Feedstores usually carry the brand Durvet Vitamins & Electrolytes....

6. Myst4

Apr 1, 2008
    N.S., Canada
    Ok cool,thanks. My eggs are from my chickens,who are very healthy. None are shipped.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by