What will my baby bantam chicks be when they grow up?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Kristopher, Dec 13, 2010.

1. Kristopher

Kristopher Out Of The Brooder

Dec 12, 2010
    Phoenix
    Hello! My wife and I recently got two bantam chicks from the feed store but we don't know what they're going to be when they grow up. We're hoping for at least one Silkie. Anyone have a guess?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Feathered feet, white stripe from under chin all the way to the butt fluff!
    [​IMG]

More pictures at: http://s198.photobucket.com/albums/aa148/khanson16/Chickens/

Thanks
    !

2. chicken-owner-31

chicken-owner-31 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2007
    NV
    The little black one looks like a cochin. The white one looks kinda like a silkie, except it doens't have feathered feet and extra toes. So I don't think it is one. Not sure what it is though....I"m still new to this! They are adorable!

3. minihorse927

minihorse927 Whipper snapper Premium Member

Nov 3, 2010
    The black one looks more like maybe cochin chick. The yellow one could be anything. Do not seem fuzzy enough for silkies. Depending on how old they are silkie chicks are a lot fuzzier than regularly feathered chicks. The picture below is 2 sizzle chicks I hatched out December 7th, pic was taken today. Silkie chicks usually look more like the darker chick in this picture, but they can be many other colors than this one. Plus pure silkies have 5 toes and dark skin. Sizzles are frizzled cochin crossed with silkies.
    [​IMG]
    blurry but you can see the dark skin an 5 toes better
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 13, 2010
  4. ChickenWisperer

ChickenWisperer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2008
    KY
    Black cochin, and the other I don't know the breed but the color is Lavendar (and it's not a silkie).

Going from ideals website, it could be a dutch or old english. But I don't know where your hatchery got your birds.

5. jenesis536

jenesis536 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 3, 2010
    CA
    I don't know what they are, but they are so cute! Makes me want MORE!!!

6. Kristopher

Dec 12, 2010
    Phoenix
    I got them at Pratt's Pets in Glendale, AZ. A quick look at their web site doesn't say which hatchery they use. I was mostly curious if one was a silkie but I'll still love them just as much even though the consensus is they aren't. [​IMG] They are so darn cute... I had them sleeping on my belly for a short time while I was watching tv. They're so small I can have both perch on my index finger right next to each other.

Thanks for the guesses! I will keep taking pictures every few days to document how they develop.

7. abhaya

abhaya Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2010
    cookeville, tn
    those wing feathers are not silkies. Silkies will also have a little top hat. They are really cute. But I can sure as I am sitting here they are gonna be chickens when they grow up [​IMG]

8. juliechick

juliechick Transplanted Hillbilly

Jun 27, 2008
    Southeast AR
    Looks like a Cochin (black) and an Old English Game Bantam (self blue maybe?).

Self Blue OEGB chick
    [​IMG]

I copied this photo from another thread on this forum.

9. Kristopher

Dec 12, 2010
    Phoenix
    Wow, that one really looks like my Foxy (the silver one). Looks like she's going to grow up gorgeous!

10. Kristopher

Dec 12, 2010
    Phoenix
    Quote:Yeah, the wing feathers kinda made me question them in the first place.

Quote:Heh, well at least I got that part right! [​IMG]

Roxie has sprouted some new back leg feathers that look pretty interesting! They're the sprouts just below the butt.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I've had these girls for less than two weeks and it already feels like at least a month! They're already getting cute little personalities. And Roxie (the black one) is starting to look a lot bigger than Foxie (the silver one) - almost twice her size. This doesn't mean I have a rooster, does it? I'm in the city so there's no way I can keep a rooster. Maybe some bantams are larger than others? Or it's an age difference? Roxie does like to eat a heck of a lot.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by