What will my baby chicks look like?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Sarahbethk, Dec 15, 2010.

1. Sarahbethk

Sarahbethk Out Of The Brooder

Dec 14, 2010
    I have 7 eggs in the bator and all are from my white leghorn hens. The possible daddys are either (most likely) my Welsummer Rooster- 'Kellog' or my Barred Rock roo, 'Rexy'.
    So how will I know when they hatch which breed they are?
    What are some characteristics of leghorn/welsummer chicks and leghorn/barred rock chicks?

2. Justuschicks

Justuschicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2010
    Keswick, Virginia
    I just hatched 2 eggs from my barred rock hen and buff leghorn roo. So far the chicks are yellow. One has a dusty yellow coloring on its new feathers and the other has very light new feathers. I have only guessed on their sexes because one week I think they are hens and roos the next. From what I have read, the barred rock traits are very dominant. Meaning they will be brown egg layers. I also read that the males take on the barred traits and the females the leghorn traits. Now I could be wrong. I have been trying to find the article I read online with no luck. If anyone has any other ideas please let us know.

3. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    If the Rock is the dad, the chicks will turn out black (or white with black blotches) with white dots on their heads.

If the Welsummer is the dad, the chicks will turn out striped, but very pale.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by