What will these frizzle crosses look like?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by aniola, Mar 13, 2011.

1. aniola

aniola Hatching

Mar 13, 2011
    So there is an orange/red silkie rooster who is about to show up in my back yard. He is very pretty and looks like this:
    Silkie/Bantie Cross Rooster, he is tiny and quiet for a rooster but needs to moveout of my Davis neighborhood to the country. He is a lovely gentle pet, Bright orange/red and fuzzy. His name is red hot. His genes are silkie with frizzle so his offspring will be an interesting various bunch. He has black skin, six toes, a rose comb and will have blue cheek patches when he is older.

I'd post a picture but can't since it's my first post. You can search the Sacramento Craigslist for it if you want to see.

I have all hens:

- golden-laced wyandotte
    - buff bantam brahma
    - silver-spangled appenzeller spitzhauben
    - black jersey giant

Any idea what the chicks might look like?

Thanks!​

Last edited: Mar 14, 2011
  2. La_TomboyGirl

La_TomboyGirl Songster

Jun 24, 2008
    NW Louisiana
    Yay! Your first post! [​IMG] What a cute lil guy. Well, firstly, esp. since mixed, he may not get the blue earlobes, but that's really here nor there, just noticed it in the ad is all. I think you will get an interesting mix of offspring from those crosses, & I'd think there'd be a lot of red showing up esp. between the wyandottes & buff brahmas, but who knows how much in the others too. You won't have any frizzling though, because from what I can see in the pic, he doesn't seem to carry the "frizzle" gene. They either get it or they don't; it doesn't hide behind regular feathering & pop out to give you surprises. Lol. I have a black frizzle roo named Romeo & we have only gotten 1 chick out of 12 with the frizzle gene so far. We also have a bantam partridge roo that is EXTREMELY red all over & his babies, even the black ones, all show @ least a trace of his fiery coloring along their necks & it's so pretty! If the JG has that beetle green sheen to her feathers, it'll be so pretty to have Red Hot crossed with her, cuz I have sum black 4-month-olds by my red guy with lovely green & purple sheen black feathers & shiny bright red necks & shoulders. Also, expect lots of little crests, esp. with the Spitz. I'd love to get some of those myself! I got my first JG pullet chick last week & can't wait to see how she turns out. Hope this helped a lil. You really never know what you'll get, but I'm sure it''ll be cool. Best of luck!

3. aniola

aniola Hatching

Mar 13, 2011
    What size do you suppose they'll be? A tiny rooster like that and a JG - yes, she does have the green beetle sheen; she's so soft and pretty - how big would the chicks grow up to be, do you suppose? Thanks for your advice!

4. aniola

aniola Hatching

Mar 13, 2011
    Also: Sweet! I like red in chickens.

5. La_TomboyGirl

La_TomboyGirl Songster

Jun 24, 2008
    NW Louisiana
    I've been thinking...I wonder if little RedHot will be able to breed with the JG if she's really huge. All but one of my roos are bantams, & they do breed with the standard-size hens without trouble, but they are like 4-8 lbs, & aren't the JG like 10+ lbs? Just crossed my mind, & didn't see anyone on here with a silkie/JG mix, hehe, but you won't know till you try. Good luck. [​IMG]

6. aniola

aniola Hatching

Mar 13, 2011
    My thought was that a big male and a small female would not work so well, but that a small male and a big female would be ok. I wonder if they would make a small, medium, or large bird!

Well. I get him tomorrow. If I haven't given the wyandotte and the JG away to their new home, we'll see what I get!

I guess the two most likely to get incubated are the bantam brahma and the appenzeller spitzhauben (plus red hot) chicks, because they are the ones that my housemates each have favorites of. The appenzzeller spitzhauben plus Red Hot will be hellllla sweet. because silkies are sweet, and the A.S. thinks I'm her flock.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: