What will they look like?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by kuhnse51, Feb 11, 2015.

1. kuhnse51

kuhnse51 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2014
    Does anyone have pictures of what chicks/chickens will look like from a BO roo BR hen cross or BO roo BA hen cross? Any experience with laying ability? I have an idea of what they will look like but would appreciate seeing some actual pictures of these crosses.

2. kuhnse51

Aug 19, 2014
    Anyone have pictures? Mainly of the BO roo BR hen cross??

3. rainbowrooster

rainbowrooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 26, 2011
    I'm guessing that BR = Barred Rock but what is a BO

4. kuhnse51

Aug 19, 2014
    Yes BR is barred rock, BO is Buff orpington

5. rainbowrooster

Nov 26, 2011
    A barred Rock male over a buff Orpington female will result in all barred birds. A buff Orpington male over a barred Rock female will result in barred males and black females (sex links). If you were hoping for something unusual this combo won't do it.

6. kuhnse51

Aug 19, 2014
    The black females wouldn't have any sort of buff coloring in them they would just be solid black?

7. rainbowrooster

Nov 26, 2011
    The black will hide the buff. The buff genetics will be in there but black is dominate over buff so you will only see the black

8. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    X2 on rainbowrooster. I'm not sure why you would want to cross a BO roo with a BA hen since BAs were originally developed from Orpington stock anyway with the idea of improving egg production. Such as cross in all probability would lay less than the BA hens. However, the BO roo X BR hen Sex Link offspring would be a very interesting cross and would likely be an excellent layer. If you decide to breed these particular sex links, let us know how it turns out. :eek:)

9. kuhnse51

Aug 19, 2014
    Well, I hatched out 5 chicks (4 are buff orp rooster over black australorp hen and 1 is buff orp rooster over barred rock) They all have gold/buff coloring on their down and the feathers they are starting to get have buff in them, too. I have read that the BO roo over BR hen produces sexlinks where females will have a Buff face and the males will have white/light face at hatch, so I am assuming I have a female chick. The BO roo over BA hen produces somewhat of a sexlink, although, it is supposedly not sexable at hatch. Only when it starts feathering in can it be sexed. Similarly, the hens will be buff and black and the males white and black feathered. I am to assume all 4 of these chicks are female as well based on this info. Can anyone confirm this? I can't believe that I could be so lucky to have 5/5 hatched chicks be female.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by