What will Victor do?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Duck_feeder, Dec 14, 2009.

1. Ignore them and sit on the remaining eggs.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Sit on the remaining eggs but attack them

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Sit on the remaining eggs and try to raise them

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Stop sitting on eggs and try eating them

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Stop sitting on eggs and ignore them

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Stop sitting on eggs and try to raise them

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Duck_feeder

Duck_feeder Drowning in feathers!

Oct 22, 2009
    Chicago
    One of Nettie's ducks, Victor (yeah, a girl with a boy's name) is super broody right now and has been sitting on eggs for the past week. Normally we take away their eggs every other day, but we let him keep his eggs this time.

I'm getting a bunch of day-old ducklings shipped to me later this week. We plan on switching out the eggs and replace them with the ducklings. Any guesses on how Victor will react?

Note: Victor is dominant and likes to remind any other duck that he's in charge. He used to chase around and bite some ducklings Nettie helped raise so he has a history of not liking ducklings.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2009
  2. rainplace

rainplace Interstellar Duck Academy

I voted what I hope...

I have no idea what she will really do [​IMG]

3. I suspect that the hatching process is necessary for ducks to bond to their ducklings. They eat what is left inside of the eggs and I bet that signals certain instincts to activate. And they actually lick the ducklings too, definately a bonding thing.

4. Duck_feeder

Oct 22, 2009
    Chicago
    I wouldn't put anything past Victor at this point. As broody as he is, he doesn't actually sit ON the eggs. He just sits in the middle of a ring of eggs. Any eggs under him is just an accident. [​IMG] His instincts aren't very good so I don't know if he even knows what the normal bonding process is supposed to be. [​IMG]
    (and yes, we refer to Victor as "he" despite being female. Just feels wrong saying "she").

I'm also curious as to how Ming Mei will react. She's been hanging out in the nest box more often and sitting next to Victor. She isn't acting broody so I'm assuming she just wants his company (she quacks angrily if we separate them).

5. pardygwyn

pardygwyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2009
    Once it's dark, take all the eggs away and stick the babies under Victor's wings. Not sure if this will work as well for a duck as it does for a broody chicken, but it should help up your chances of things working out for the best.

6. Duck_feeder

Oct 22, 2009
    Chicago
    I should point out that the two ducklings I'm keeping will not be slipped into Victor's nest - I want them to imprint on me. The other ducklings are going to another BYCer so as long as Victor doesn't hurt them, how he reacts isn't that important in the long run.

7. Marlinchaser

Marlinchaser Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2007
    MERRY LAND
    I voted, but you dont have the ducklings will ignore victor, so unless you force them to remain in the same area he will not have a chance to harm them, if you force them in with victor, then being broody yes he will try to protect his nest.

8. nettie

nettie Enslaved by Indoor Ducks

Nov 20, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Based on his previous experiences with duckling, i think he's ether going to be terrified or he'll chase them... lol. He chased sammy when we had her, but got chased by peter... He bit Vinny's tail feathers out, but got chased by ollie... lol.... so far it's been half and half, but he's never been this broody before, so i guess there's a little hope he'll want to mother. lol.

9. Duck_feeder

Oct 22, 2009
    Chicago
    Victor must be trying to prove me wrong about his instincts. I just checked on him and he was turning over eggs and pushed a couple under him. I guess he does have some idea of what he's doing. [​IMG]

10. classroomducks

classroomducks Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2009
    Fort Worth, Tx
    what if he does take the ducklings as his own...he will be so sad when they go away...[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by