What will you get if you cross a polish rooster with

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by 1st_chicken, Oct 30, 2011.

1. 1st_chicken

1st_chicken Out Of The Brooder

Sep 26, 2011
    a Silkie hen??? [​IMG] Trying out crosses with my chickens...

quote: How many chickens does it take to screw in a light bulb? One. To lay an egg, So that the owner will eat it and have enough energy to change the light bulb.

2. BBrock

BBrock Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2011
    cairo ga.
    Any cross will be what a breeder calls a mutt. If you have no goal for the end result then there just eye candy for your own yard

3. 1st_chicken

1st_chicken Out Of The Brooder

Sep 26, 2011
    Quote:[​IMG] Even if the product is a pullet????

What will we get if we mix polish and Americana, or silkie and Americana?

4. Debbi

Debbi Overrun With Chickens

May 2, 2010
    Missouri
    They will all be mutts, but at least the pullets will be egg laying mutts. [​IMG]

5. BBrock

BBrock Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2011
    cairo ga.
    It is AMERAUCANA. But they will be just chickens to lay eggs.

6. anderson8505

anderson8505 Peace, Love & Happy Chickens

Ignoring the purists....

I'd hope you'd get something cute with a puff on it's head of some sort. I have a silkie/cochin mix that is really growing up to be a pretty girl with a little puff on top, black legs, shiny iridescent feathers, and feathered legs. I don't care to have ALL "purebreds" and firmly believe that there is not much of anything living in this world that is "pure" anything. Good luck with your mixing.

[​IMG]

7. Luke0987654321

Luke0987654321 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2009
    Spain
    Quote:agreed 100%

8. Alicia G

Alicia G Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2010
    Nova Scotia
    Oooo! I love crosses! They all are so unique with their own personalities [​IMG]
    With the polish, most offspring will have a crest or a part of a crest. Crossing polish with silkie will most likely give you something with the darker skin, crest and/or silkie or partly silkied feathers.
    Crossing Polish and Ameraucna would make some beautiful and interesting bird! I would love to see pictures of what you get [​IMG]

9. diornisextant

diornisextant Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 26, 2011
    Exactly! it would be a silken polishesque chicken .
    All pure breeds began as mutts after all . and not every one shows chickens or cares . I eat the eggs and the birds so i might as well have fun making them look and act the way I want and maybe create a great pet bird.

Mix away!
    Silkie after all is merely a genetic trait that can be added to any exiting variety like frizzle or NN. OH ! wait isn't there a breed that has NN and silkie involved?? It's called a showgirl! I'm thinking Polish may be in the Silkie and Showgirl breeds way back when the show standards were created , if you look at serama silkies they don't have the crest.

call yours a Q tip and write a standard then start a mix club.

frizzle and silkie make sizzle
    Game birds seem to be mixed all over the place.

I have 3 serama but want to mix in some of the koShamo or similar and silkie to see what happens . with the hard short feather of the Ko Shamo and the silkie factor I'm thinking tight soft fur like feather . then some NN to reduce feather cover. Great pocket warmer. LOL

10. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    I have several Polish/silkie mutts. They all have black skin/combs and black feet with 5 toes on each foot. I don't know the genetics of silkied feathers, so I don't know if they will have that or not. You will have a crest on each bird of a small to medium size.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 31, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by