What will you give up for your birds?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by ticks, Jul 5, 2008.

1. ticks

ticks Pheasant Obsessed

Apr 1, 2008
    The Sticks, Vermont
    I am SUPPOSED to go on vacation today with my whole family. But after my little pheasant incident this after noon I am not risking them getting out and dying. I also can't bring my ducklings! But I will anyway. I explained to her that they need to be changed every day, they need water and food twice a day, and they need to go out and play everyday. IT makes me wonder, what have/will you give up for the better of your birds?

2. onthespot

onthespot Deluxe Dozens

Mar 29, 2008
    Riverside/Norco, CA
    200k. I have them on a paid off piece of property, the only place I can keep them, that I could sell for probably more than 200k, but I like the birds and will keep them there. What's the point of money if you can't keep chickens?

3. ticks

ticks Pheasant Obsessed

Apr 1, 2008
    The Sticks, Vermont
    200k as in 200,000$$ [​IMG]

4. LuannKeller

LuannKeller Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2008
    Greer, SC USA
    Money is a means to an end. Working to pay for the joy of having chickens....yeah, I do that.

5. summerwindsfarm

summerwindsfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2008
    Stroud, Oklahoma
    Well lets see..not just for my chickens..but for all our critters... we moved to the country..which means an hour and a half drive for dh. We lived without running water for a year and a half. Every penny we have extra goes into fencing and farming and critter food. I havent had a vacation away from home in 10+ years...no one to take care of the critters. Ive given up hair cuts and pedicures ..heck for that matter ive given up nails lolol! We havent bought a new vehicle in forever..whats the point since they get so many miles on them that they lose all their value in a couple years? And i cant think of anywhere else id rather be or anything else id rather do!

6. ticks

ticks Pheasant Obsessed

Apr 1, 2008
    The Sticks, Vermont
    Wow, I forgot to add: We spent 500$ on the pheasant cage alone!

7. FlockEweFarm

FlockEweFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2008
    Flagstaff,AZ
    Sleeping past 0500, peace of mind, and a whole bunch of things that I had to do for the ex-husband so that he would help me with the heavier building on the coop, as well as the hauling that I cant do with my bad joints,(this is a family site, so ya'll will just have to cogitate on that one), any extra money I ever thought I had. It is all worth it, but those hens better start laying SOON! [​IMG]

8. DuckLady

DuckLady Administrator~~~ BYC Store Support Staff Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Washington State
    Sleep. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by