What with this egg?? Has anyone seen this before?

Discussion in 'Geese' started by EmAbTo48, Mar 12, 2013.

1. EmAbTo48

EmAbTo48 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2011
    Northern Wisconsin
    [​IMG]

My broody Sebastopol is on 13 eggs already and she is continuing to lay so I have been taking the ones shes been laying and either eating or incubating..

Well I cracked this one open I am not sure what is going on she has about 8 dots from her girl parts and theirs a few that are fertilized with the ring around it. I have never seen this before she has white dots all over the egg.

[​IMG]

Sorry for the glare... You can seen 5 dots in the pictures and then on the sides there are more. The ones closer to the middle have the ring around it..

Is this normal?

2. I don't know, but that's weird!!

3. CelticOaksFarm

CelticOaksFarm Family owned, family run

Sep 7, 2009
    Florida - Space Coast
    now THAT is interesting

4. EmAbTo48

Jul 9, 2011
    Northern Wisconsin
    I thought this is way off... I am thinking she will not be bred next year something is going on with her fertilty.... This is the goose I have been having like 75% bad fertility rates with.

She has been sitting on an empty nest since I took her last clutch about a month ago. And just started laying again last week. But I bought eggs for her to sit on that have proven fertility so hopefully she can get them to hatch she wants to be a momma SO BAD! I have been taking the ones she lays and have 3 in the incubator this is the first one I have cracked open!!

5. animaladdictions

animaladdictions Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2011
    East Tennessee
    That is odd...I've never seen that either..hmmm??? Maybe Pete would know?

6. RURU

RURU Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2011
    Troy, Missouri
    My Coop
    I am no expert on eggs but that looks like she has five areas where the egg can be fertilized. If more than one get fertilized that might be a bad thing. I have never seen this before. Sure wish Pete would get back on the forums again.....

7. EmAbTo48

Jul 9, 2011
    Northern Wisconsin
    There are 3 spots with fertilization its hard to see but there are rings around three of them...

8. RURU

RURU Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2011
    Troy, Missouri
    My Coop
    So three fertile places. I do not think 3 fertile areas in one yolk would be good to hatch. It might turnn out to be super deformed??? Now I do not know what I would do with a goose that did that in every egg. I know it is just one egg with this. I wonder what that means for the female future of breeding. I think you siad you would not breed her next year right? That to me would just be too risky..

9. EmAbTo48

Jul 9, 2011
    Northern Wisconsin
    Yes, I have been having issues with her fertility 75% of her eggs have not been ferti3lized with her first clutch the ones I did have in the incubator stopped growing two weeks. She has laid 4 eggs this far for this clutch that I took from her since I have her on other eggs that I know are fertile and will hatch for her. 3 of these eggs have be in the incubator for 2 days so far. Then I cracked open this one and saw this. I do know for sure that her first eggs that I cracked were not like this at all they were normal just not all were fertilized.

But yes I am thinking she might just be best at being a broody momma and just give her eggs to sit on then her own. Something must be going on with her. I will be checking the rest of the eggs she lays. I don't need any more goslings so I will cook them up so I will be able to see if they continue like this.

10. BunkyB

BunkyB Chillin' With My Peeps

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by