What worm is this?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chickennutty, Aug 25, 2016.

1. chickennutty

chickennutty Out Of The Brooder

Aug 23, 2014
    Montana
    Hi All, I believe I have a worm problem, but I'm not sure which one. I am adding a photo. My little hen also is sneezing and shaking her head. Just want to add this is my first post, although I have been a dedicated reader for a few years. I've always found good info here without needing to ask a question. Love this forum! Thanks.[​IMG]

2. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hopefully @casportpony (Kathy) will be around some time and help out (or you could PM her your post) - I'm sure there are other experts out there, just that Kathy sprung to mind.

CT

3. chickennutty

Aug 23, 2014
    Montana
    Thanks, CT, for taking a look. And you read my mind! I was just thinking of sending Kathy a message and asking her to take a look. I'll do that tomorrow if I haven't solved the mystery by then. Heck, maybe it isn't even a worm! It appears hollow and it isn't alive.

4. Ravynscroft

Ravynscroft For the Love of Duck Premium Member

Nov 30, 2014
    Middle Tennessee
    It kinda looks like a dried mealworm to me... :confused:

5. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    that thought came to my mind also, but I've had enough wrist slapping for this week, so thought I'd keep it to myself [​IMG]

6. Ravynscroft

Ravynscroft For the Love of Duck Premium Member

Nov 30, 2014
    Middle Tennessee

If we let the wrist slappers stop us from offering our opinions then there would be that much more misinformation spread around... j/s...

1 person likes this.
  7. chickennutty

Aug 23, 2014
    Montana
    Hey, you guys might be right! I did throw out a handful of mealworms a few days ago!!! Seems these have been showing up just since then. Thanks for looking. Glad I didn't rush into the worming process.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2016
  8. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    It does look like it might be a mealworm. Did you save it? better pictures would confirm.
    [​IMG]

-Kathy

1 person likes this.
  9. chickennutty

Aug 23, 2014
    Montana
    I was thinking tapeworm, because of the segments. Her droppings are firm, although she did just have a couple of weeks of green watery poo. Hope this photo helps. [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 25, 2016
  10. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Do you still have the poop? If so, remove the worm and take a picture of it.

-Kathy

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by