What would a Barred Rock roo/White Americauna hen make?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by riverman, Dec 15, 2010.

1. riverman

riverman Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2010
    Central Tx
    Ive got a pure Barred Rock roo fertilizing my white and wheaten Americauna ladies, what traits will the chicks take more of/ what breed will this make?

2. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Since I've heard of both dominant and recessive white Ameraucanas. . . That crossing depends. Either the chicks will be 100% barred or 100% white with barring leaking through.

The Wheaten Ameraucana crossing will provide 100% barred chicks as well, but with some red leakage.

Both crossings will create Easter Eggers, green-egg laying mutts. They will have pea combs and greenish or yellow colored legs.

Just curious though, are these already purebred Ameraucanas, or Easter Eggers? ( you mentioned the BR is purebred, but not the Ameraucanas, and you used an I in the name, signalling that they're likely EE's - Which would make the "wheaten" likely a BBR/duckwing, not Wheaten. )

Last edited: Dec 15, 2010
  3. RAREROO

RAREROO Overrun With Chickens

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    Weather they are Ameraucanas or EEs, the results will be the same. The Wheaten/gold colored ones will produce all barred chicks with leakage being likely and the ones from the White ones, and I have also heard of both Dominant and Recessive White ones but I think most are Rec. White. But the Recessive White hens would produce all barred chicks as well and if they were dom white, which would be more likely if they are EEs, would be the white with "ghost barring " as I call it.

Here is a pic of what that looks like.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Oh yeah, forgot to mention that - If they're EE's, the whites will produce what you see in the photo. White EE's are dominant.

If they're Ameraucanas, I believe most are recessive, so you'll just get barred chicks. [​IMG]

5. riverman

Dec 15, 2010
    Central Tx
    Wooo I love this forum sooo much already! [​IMG]

Thank you Illia & RAREROO.. Ill post pics tomorrow, There pure Americauna Im sure.

So the chicks will most likely be 100% barred? Meaning the chicks can be used in later matings as full blood BR's? or will the chicks be mutts either way?

I'm new to the selective breeding side of chicken raising and realllly getting into it!!

6. WhiteMountainsRanch

WhiteMountainsRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2010
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    Where did you get the Ameraucanas? That is a good start to identify if they are pure or not. [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 15, 2010
  7. riverman

Dec 15, 2010
    Central Tx
    I work on a pasture raised- free roaming/certified organic egg farm with a flock of Americaunas & Araucanas about 400 strong, I bought 3 of the Americauna's from my boss(a white, a wheaten looking one, and a brown-black lady with gold tips) He got them from a hatchery in Arkansas.

Thank you all for you help.

8. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Quote:you've got EEs.

9. riverman

Dec 15, 2010
    Central Tx
    How can you tell?

10. RAREROO

RAREROO Overrun With Chickens

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    Yep You've got Easter Eggers, hatcheries dont have pure Ameraucanas even if they sell them as Ameraucanas, they arent And they sure dont have Araucanas, which are rumpless and have tufts instead of beards. The Hatchery part and the Brown Black with Gold tips part are the give aways there as that is a typical color of EEs. So from the White one you can expect the ghost barred colored ones.

And NO the offspring would not be pure barred rocks and could not be used as such, they would still be mutts and would probably be closer to the EEs in body features, just barred coloring.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by