What would a Buff Orpington and Black Australorp cross look like??

b-cuz

In the Brooder
11 Years
Feb 15, 2008
Meriwether Co., GA
I have a mixed flock, 4 Buff Orp. hens, 3 RIR hens, 2 Barred Rock/Old English Game hens, 2 Brown Leghorn hens, 2 Black Australorp hens, & 1 Buff Orp. Rooster.

I was wondering what a Buff Orp/Black Australorp cross would look like. I like the attributes of both. Anyone have any? If so, any pictures??

You'll get some blacks, some buffs and some with color bleeding through, black in the head. tail, etc. Buff is a very complex color so some other color (red etc) could bleed out as well. You won't get a conformity of color or a pure bred chicken. You will have a mixed breed barnyard variety. also it depends on what colors are hiding in the recessive genes.

Australorps were created from the original Orpingtons by importing them to Aus. then later they were exported under the brand name Australorps - "Australian Orpingtons".

I looked for pics but could not find one,but I have a hen from a buff orp rooster and a black giant hen. her body is black,fading to grey s you get close to her head and she has gold feathers bleeding through,peppering her head and shoulders. She hatched out as a black chick with a reddish tinge around her head.

Thank you all for the info. What I'm hearing is that they would be, as MissPrissy said, mixed breed barnyard variety or as someone in another post said, mongrel chickens. I'm not sure if I want to do that or try to keep my breeds true. We have 2 Plymouth Barred Rock x Old English Game hens that I bought from a friend. They are very stead egg layers, broody, & hearty.

We have our chickens for eggs. Out of our flock the Brown Leghorns are the best layers, the Australorps next, then the PBR x OEGs. Our RIRs stopped laying in the heat of summer and the BOs were not as productive as we thought they'd be. Out of 13 hens the most we got in 1 day was 9, and that was just once.

We're trying to let them be as natural as possible - large run (30'X45'), no extra lighting. We would like to let them free range some, but too many loose dogs & we hear coyotes near by at night. Never seen the coyotes, but they're there.
So far the only predator we've had was a 5'6" gray rat snake. The greedy beggar even swallowed a golf ball before I wacked him.

I do like the quiet manner of the Orpingtons (Buff & Australorps). The BLs are spooky, the RIRs are bossy, & the PBR x OEGs won't back up from any of the others. I like to just sit & watch them. They're a hoot !!

Thanks again all for the info/input. THat's what makes this site so good.

They look like this. This is a Buff Cochin(rooster) X Astrolorp (hen), but same color patters, just diffrent comb.

Last edited:
Here is what happens when you cross a Black Cochin Rooster on A Buff Orp Hen, this is what Miss Prissy was talking about with bleeding through.

marlacarlaaug.jpg

I kept the hen, she will go into my laying flock. Hubby dubbed them "Orchins"

Back
Top Bottom