what would a Nag tom and a Bourbon red hen cross look like?

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by jasonm11, Dec 29, 2010.

1. jasonm11

jasonm11 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2010
    tioga tx
    Really any idea what it would look like and has anyone done it intentionally?

Last edited: Dec 30, 2010
  2. MovieFanz

MovieFanz Out Of The Brooder

Sep 14, 2010
    The Narraganset gene is sex linked so your result will differ depending on what sex your Narraganset is. Some should look like a Golden Narraganset.

3. jasonm11

Nov 18, 2010
    tioga tx
    what about a tom Nag and a Bourbon hen?

4. ccrawf

ccrawf Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 6, 2009
    Springfield, Missouri
    I have raised Bourbon Reds for 3 years now and just love them. Very friendly and gentle. Mine haven't done too well at going broody, but they lay well and the eggs are fertile.
    Last spring I had Spanish Black Tom that I crossed with a BR hen and this is one of the chicks I got. The best looking of the bunch I think. And I was surprised at the resemblance between it and the Narrangaset. Next spring I intend to breed it again, either with a black/slate mix or a BR/slate mix hen. I also have some BR/blue slate mix that I call a chocolate slate. The blue slate with a definate chocolate tinge to it.
    And they all taste good!!

So I think the choice really does come down to preference of colors. I have some BR I'll segregate as pure breeders and then some others I plan to play with and see what I get. They will be mostly eaters any way and once the feathers come off most of us couldn't tell the difference.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. ColbyNTX

ColbyNTX Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2009
    Woods, TX
    This is what it could look like. This is from a mixed egg I got from a guy this spring but I couldn't eat her because she was too pretty.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. jasonm11

Nov 18, 2010
    tioga tx
    Once agqain you come to the rescue. Thank you very much. I was asking because I have the opportunity to pick up a big Nag tom in kaufman TX and I am getting my boubon reds this weekend. I was wanting to decide if I wanted to go get the Tom. i think i will after seeing your birds Cc and CoalbyNTX.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by