What would a speckled sussex and a light sussex look like together?

Anyone have a light-speckled sussex? Just Curious
Speckled are e+ ( wildtype) and Lights are eWh (Wheaten). Since the Light is S/S, you will get sex-linked chicks. Basically a mess of many different genes. It will take a lot of expense and hard work to make anything out of the cross.
A Black Tailed Jap Bantam is the same as the Light Sussex color, only the Bantam doesn't have the Hackle Black gene. So it has a white neck instead of a black hackle..... http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/7393852
According to Van Dorn and Hancock's book, Genetics of Chicken Colours-The Basics, (pages 206, 207) the Speckled Sussex color genotype in the USA is:
Red Mille Fleur which is e+/e+ s+/s+ Mh/Mh mo/mo (with 'rb' added for the very dark birds). rb= recessive black.
The book says Red Millie Fleur is the same as Mille Fleur with Mahogany, (with 'rb' added for the very dark birds).
Best Regards,
Karen
P.S., I wondered where the chipmunk stripes were coming from in the Speckled Sussex chicks. e+/e+ s+/s+ is wildtype, which is the chipmunk-striped chick,
that explains it. So Speckled Sussex is wildtype with the Mahogany and mottled genes added. The genotype is different in Australia, Europe and the UK.
=================
The Light Sussex genotype is eWh/eWh S/S Co/Co. A Wheaten allele based bird with 2 doses of the Silver gene and 2 doses of the Columbian gene. Plus the hackle Black gene. I don't know off-hand if the Hackle Black gene is one dose, 2 doses or a simple modifier in one or two doses. Have to ask the guy who wrote "21st Century Poultry Breeding".
In any case you can see that crossing the 2 varieties makes for a plethora of genetic combinations. Plus the gold/silver sex link thing.

Best,
Karen

Last edited:
So, what would be a cool breed to breed from my speckled sussex rooster? Im unsure of how the breeding works (not to sound ignorant or anything). I know there is usually just a random mix of features from both breeds in the chicks, but is there a specific breed that would end up making cool chicks if breed with a speckled sussex?
Hope that makes sense...

Back to the Speckled Sussex for a minute. The book says the genotype for Speckled Sussex is different in Australia, UK and Europe. It says in Australia, it's based on eb. In Europe and the UK, it's based on both eb and eWh. Now the books says that Speckled Sussex is Red Mille Fleur which is the same a Mille Fleur with Mahogany. Yet, when I checked the book to see what the genotype is for Mille Fleur, I find only 2 genotypes. One based on eb/eb and one based on eWh/eWh. So, while Red Mille Fleur may be the same as Mille Fleur with Mahogany, according to the book, that is only for Australia, Europe and the UK. According to the book, our e+ based Speckled Sussex are a simplier equation, not requiring any additional combination of Co, and/or Ml, and/or Db, and /or Pg to make the color.
Best,
Karen

So, what would be a cool breed to breed from my speckled sussex rooster? Im unsure of how the breeding works (not to sound ignorant or anything). I know there is usually just a random mix of features from both breeds in the chicks, but is there a specific breed that would end up making cool chicks if breed with a speckled sussex?
Hope that makes sense...
Well if you want sex-linked chicks, the very best choice is a Silver breed, not a white breed. Right off the top of my head that would be Light Sussex or Delaware. Delaware might be a neat choice. They are basically the same color as the Light Sussex only they also have the barred gene. So you would get some chicks that were sex-linked and barred. that could be really pretty.
Best,
Karen

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom