1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What would be a good baby gift for an Amish?

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by reveriereptile, Oct 9, 2011.

1. reveriereptile

reveriereptile Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2008
    Northern NY
    My FIL has an Amish working for him since he is getting older and can't do everything himself on the farm anymore. The Amish build a house on the land and he is expecting his first baby this month. I'd like to get his wife a gift for the baby but I have no clue what to get her.

I do have a mean rooster that I plan on giving them to eat this winter but I'd like to get something the baby would be able to use. Anyone have any clue what I could get? I don't know what all they can or can't use.

2. scratch'n'peck

scratch'n'peck Overrun With Chickens

Oct 31, 2008
    West Michigan
    My Coop
    Well with the first baby they can use a lot of what many young families can use: baby blankets and quilts, booties, and socks. Stick to low tech stuff like that. I am not sure if zippers and snaps are considered high tech to Amish folks. I suppose you could casually ask how mom to be is preparing for the baby to get some ideas.

3. eenie114

eenie114 Completly Hopeless

scratch'n'peck :

Well with the first baby they can use a lot of what many young families can use: baby blankets and quilts, booties, and socks. Stick to low tech stuff like that. I am not sure if zippers and snaps are considered high tech to Amish folks. I suppose you could casually ask how mom to be is preparing for the baby to get some ideas.

The zippers and snaps thing would probably depend on if they're Old Order or not. [​IMG]
    Maybe a high chair? Although I don't know if maybe father-to-be or another member of the community would be making one by hand.
    Maybe offer to bring over meals, as cliche as that it.​

4. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    If you can get or make a handmade quilt or blanket using natural fibers (no synthetic), that is probably the best choice. Or maybe lap pads or burp cloths.

5. oceanwidedesigns

oceanwidedesigns Out Of The Brooder

Aug 31, 2010
    Fresno County
    Quote:ditto! If you're a knitter or crocheter, I believe knitpicks has some organic cotton yarns.

there's also cloth diapers made from organic cotton - lots on etsy I think. Stay away from any with a design or bright colors - go for solid neutrals, maybe the old fashioned rectangular ones? That'll avoid the whole technology issue with snaps.

6. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    A new iphone with an e-trade app.................. [​IMG] [​IMG]

7. Kelly G

Kelly G It's like herding cats!

Quote:[​IMG] [​IMG] Teehee!!! I was going to suggest that, too! LOL We have sick minds! [​IMG] [​IMG]

How about crib sheets?

8. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    A portable DVD player with Blue ray and a copy of the Jersey Shore in 3D HD. Snooky goes to PA.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2011
  9. reveriereptile

reveriereptile Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2008
    Northern NY
    I know there is a store around here that sales items made by them. I might check it out. My husband was thinking about buying some food items for them also since they don't have much. Do you guys think they could use the organic baby blankets?

10. I have WHAT in my yard?

I have WHAT in my yard? Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2008
    Eggberg, PA
    Cloth diapers would probably be greatly appreciated. Cloth is valuable and diapers are something you can never have too many of!

I also saw the most amazing hand cranked baby food maker on ebay, or a grinder of the sort that you can get from emergency essentials would probably really help her make baby food and be acceptable.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by