What would be a good breed?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by osiel, Aug 10, 2014.

1. osiel

osiel Out Of The Brooder

Mar 22, 2014
    Texas
    I have 3 Barred Rocks and 4 Red Sex Links that just started laying and was wondering what would be a good rooster breed mix with them. I have a Buff Orpington Rooster but he is very old and lays in the dirt most of the day.

2. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    I would recommend a Black Australorp for breeding with them. BAs are very hardy. I've raised them both in CA where summer temperatures frequently reached 117-118 F (123 F once) and in northern Kansas, where the temperature dropped to 30 F below zero one winter, and in both areas they came through unscathed. They are also very calm and gentle, which is a good trait to breed into your offspring, and they are the best layers of the standard, brown egg laying breeds. Until it was broken by a caged White Leghorn in 1879, a Black Australorp held the world laying record with 364 eggs in 365 days, and while mine have never reached that kind of production (and likely never will), I've had a few of them lay over 300 eggs in a year. By using a BA rooster, you would be infusing all of these good traits into your offspring. Whatever kind of rooster you end up getting, good luck with your hatches.

3. osiel

osiel Out Of The Brooder

Mar 22, 2014
    Texas
    Anymore suggestions?

4. gjensen

gjensen Overrun With Chickens

Feb 22, 2011
    Midlands, South Carolina
    A non standard SC Rhode Island White from Ideal.

5. southernmomma

southernmomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2014
    North Louisiana

That's a very specific recommendation~ will you share your thoughts behind it?

M

6. gjensen

gjensen Overrun With Chickens

Feb 22, 2011
    Midlands, South Carolina
    They share the comb type, are recessive white, and are very good layers of large rich brown eggs. As a pure layer, they are overlooked. They perform (or did) better than most of the Standard breeds (even among hatchery birds).

I could take them and build a line of barred birds, gold birds, and silver birds. Between the three, I could make gold and black sex links. They would be mine, and I could do as I pleased to improve them in the future.

They would be compatible with the sex link, and would improve egg size and color of the hatchery barred rocks.

7. southernmomma

southernmomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2014
    North Louisiana
    A specific and well-considered recommendation then. Thanks for breaking it down. Just goes to show how much there is to consider.

M

8. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    A lot's going to depend on what you want in chicks. Larger size for butchering cockerels? Increased egg production? Docility? Broodiness? specific color of birds? Eggs? That would help narrow things down.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by