What would be better? Raising a new chick or getting a grown hen?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by mamasunseri, May 18, 2010.

1. mamasunseri

mamasunseri Out Of The Brooder

May 15, 2010
    Napa, CA
    Hi all,

I had two hens, raised together as chicks. I lost one yesterday. I'd like to get another. My question is: what would be better: raising another chick and introducing her to the older when the chick is bigger, or getting a grown hen? I've read posts about introducing new hens to a flock, but I only have one hen to contend with. I couldn't tell what the pecking order was with the original two.

the surviving hen is a Brahma.

Thank you!!

2. Chicken0Boy

Chicken0Boy Chillin' With My Peeps

Well if you were to get chicks you would atleast need 2. I love rasing chicks so i would go with chicks!

3. trilyn

trilyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2009
    East Syracuse
    If you can get more than one, go for it! I, personally would get a couple of fullgrown hens and introduce them while out in a run or put them on the roost at night. I've done it both ways and they've both worked for me. Good luck and I'm sorry for your loss.

4. mamasunseri

May 15, 2010
    Napa, CA
    Really? Shoot. I have a limit: no more than two chickens at a time. Aside from being lonely, is there a reason you need two chicks? What if I introduced the chick to the hen slowly by putting her cage in the coop during the day (with no way for the hen to get at her, of course)?

Thanks for the tips!

5. mamasunseri

May 15, 2010
    Napa, CA
    Quote:Thanks! Good to know it works both ways!

6. trilyn

trilyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2009
    East Syracuse
    Quote:Well, you have a limit, ugh!! [​IMG] Yeah, I think putting a cage in the coop and them having access to each other 24/7 would be fine. Like you said, as long as the hen can't get at the chick, there should be no problems. [​IMG]

7. newchicksnducks

newchicksnducks Chillin' With My Peeps

If you buy a chick, remember it will need to quite a bit older before you can integrate them. We're talking at least a couple of months. If you A.) want eggs sooner, or B.) want a companion for your adult chicken, I would try to get a pullet. You can try to find locally, or some hatcheries sell started pullets. Good luck!

8. embkm

embkm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2009
    Colbert, Ga
    If you can only get one, I would get an adult pullet. Chicks get lonely being raised by themselves, and it would be months before you could introduce them to each other.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by