1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

what would be causing this?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by ryantollefson81, Mar 8, 2015.

1. ryantollefson81

ryantollefson81 New Egg

Dec 12, 2014
    I have 2 roosters and 4 hens. 1 rooster and 2 hens are missing feathers on their backs. What would be causing this? Picture included.[​IMG]

2. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    Probably your rooster who has all of his feathers. It is very common for a dominant rooster to mount a subordinate.

Or, it could be mites or lice, I suppose. But I find it a little suspect that 3 of them are missing feathers and one is not...

3. ryantollefson81

ryantollefson81 New Egg

Dec 12, 2014
    That is what I thought. I didn't know a dominant rooster will mount a subordinate. If it was mites or lice wouldn't they all have feathers missing? What do I need to do???????

4. justplainbatty

justplainbatty Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2007
    emmet MI
    if they are brooder buddies, they should work it out. But, you need more hens or one less rooster! Each roo needs at least 5 hens! If you want to keep both roosters and not add hens, build them a bachelor pen and just let one or the other out with the hens a few hours a day or whatever.[​IMG]

5. ryantollefson81

ryantollefson81 New Egg

Dec 12, 2014
    We plan to get more hens so hopefully that works!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by