What would be the best breed of chicken for me?

Hi there,
frow.gif
and welcome to BYC!

You might check out the breeds section here of BYC for some ideas on types of breeds, hardiness, tempermants, and laying frequencies....

https://www.backyardchickens.com/products/category/chicken-breeds

Good luck with all your poultry adventures!

welcome-byc.gif
From my personal experience, Rhode Island Reds, Australorps, and Black Sex Links are very productive. My Rhode Island Reds can get somewhat aggressive from time to time, my Australorp is very friendly, and my Black Sex Link minds her own business.

Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! X3 on commercial White Leghorns are probably the best white egg layers, and red sex links (different hatcheries call them different things, Red Stars, Golden Comets, ISA Browns etc) are the best brown egg layers if you are going for straight egg production. Australorps, RIR/production reds, Plymouth Rocks are a couple other ones that are good layers.

Hello
frow.gif
and Welcome To BYC! X3 on commercial White Leghorns are probably the best white egg layers, and red sex links (different hatcheries call them different things, Red Stars, Golden Comets, ISA Browns etc) are the best brown egg layers if you are going for straight egg production. Australorps, RIR/production reds, Plymouth Rocks are a couple other ones that are good layers.

Leghorns for white eggs, sex links for massive relatively short term brown eggs, and the others mentioned by Kelsie for slightly less annual production but longer longevity. Oh yeah, welcome to BYC.
frow.gif

Back
Top Bottom