what would be the best breed to add to my flock?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by chuckd2008, Jun 13, 2011.

1. chuckd2008

chuckd2008 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 13, 2011
    Frankfort, ky
    I have 1 white leghorn rooster and 4 leghorn hens as well. I have been cleared to get 2 more hens by my mother who makes all our family decisions [​IMG] I was wondering what breeds would be good to introduce into my flock. I am a very newby chicken person, but i know i want some that lay brown eggs since the leghorns lay white eggs and also i want some color since my chickens are pearl white as well. Other then that I eventually want to naturally breed them with my rooster so i was kinda wanting a broody hen or two that will also get along good with the other members of my flock. Any info is greatly appreciated.

2. bryan99705

bryan99705 Chillin' With My Peeps

Start looking at breeds, pick a pretty one that fits the description you want and see what happens

Last edited: Jun 13, 2011
  3. ladyride

ladyride Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2011
    East Tn
    Quote:x2 sounds good to me [​IMG]

4. chuckd2008

Jun 13, 2011
    Frankfort, ky
    i was thinking about getting rhoad island reds since they are very easy to get and are pretty good layers and are hardy and a nostalgic breed. but my other choices would be a red sex link, a barred rock, or an austrathorp?

5. dsqard

dsqard Crazy "L" Farms

Jun 11, 2010
    York PA
    I would also look for ones that will do well in your climate where you live. If you live in a colder area, I would suggest Brahmas since they are so sweet but they are not especially known for going broodie. I have to say I just love mine! EE's are also a good choice if you are looking for different colored eggs. So many choices! [​IMG]

6. chuckd2008

Jun 13, 2011
    Frankfort, ky
    I live in kentucky we have 4 well rounded seasons usually but never really hotter then a hundred and never colder then about about 10 degrees

7. chickendales

chickendales Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2011
    Michigan
    so pretty much what ever u breed u like well work

8. Bammy

Bammy Out Of The Brooder

Jan 16, 2010
    Snow Shoe, PA.
    A Speckled Sussex and a Gold-Laced Wyandotte would brighten up the flock![​IMG]

9. BuffaloWings

BuffaloWings Out Of The Brooder

Apr 6, 2010
    Oklahoma
    Since you want to try the natural incubation, I would try one of the Orpingtons (except white since you already have white birds and want something different). The Buff are most common and easiest to find. They are some of the best broody hens I have ever had. Very friendly too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by