What would be the best egg laying breed for a very varied climate?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Lady_JEC, Dec 2, 2010.

1. Lady_JEC

Lady_JEC New Egg

Dec 2, 2010
    I live in Ontario where we have a very varied climate ranging from hot summers (up to high 30s C or 100F) and very cold winters (as low as -30C or -22F or worse with windchill). I'm wanting to have a small flock starting with only a handful of chickens (4-6 to start) but after researching all the breeds I'm still confused. I want high egg production but I also want to ensure my chickens are comfortable. The coop will be custom built with a relatively large, secure outdoor run as well and I'll do everything I can to ensure the coop itself is warm and cozy in winter and cool and comfy in summer. My question though is what breed of chicken would tolerate these 2 extremes in weather best while still maintaining a decent level of egg production?

Any tips or recommendations would be very appreciated!

2. Domestic_goddess

Domestic_goddess Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2009
    Utah
    Personally, a great all purpose hardy birds would be barred rocks, Road island reds, buff orpingtons and wyandottes! There all great winter layers too! Good luck:)

3. Celtic Hill

Celtic Hill Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2010
    Scotland CT
    I LOVE buff orpingtons!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by