What would be the outcome of a Red Sex-link rooster mating a Black Sex-link hen?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by AWickedChicken, May 2, 2017.

1. AWickedChicken

AWickedChicken Out Of The Brooder

Sep 20, 2016
    Just curious. We have red sex links, black sex links, and possibly amber links. Out of those we have only one Red sex-link rooster, so what would the chicks look like if he mated the black sex links or the amber links?

2. BYCforlife

BYCforlife Overrun With Chickens

Mar 18, 2017
    Canada
    I think: [​IMG]

3. AWickedChicken

Sep 20, 2016
    Pretty! Thank you! Here's another question though, would you still be able to sex it based on color or...?

4. BYCforlife

BYCforlife Overrun With Chickens

Mar 18, 2017
    Canada
    Not sure, sorry, Help, pro's!

5. The Moonshiner

The Moonshiner Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 17, 2016
    Missouri
    Heres the problem....
    Sex links are just mix breed chickens. So youre taking a mix breed chicken and breeding it to a different mix breed chicken. That puts a lot of different genes in play so a lot of choices which ones the offspring would get.
    First issue is we dont know which breeds were used in your sex links. Different places use different breeds.
    Your offspring will be getting 25% of the genes from each of 4 different breeds. The genes they get will be a random 1/4 th of the genes from each 4 so each chick will have a different mix then tne next. That makes it pretty impossible to figure the outcome.
    Youre going to get a rainbow of genes in each chick so no they wont be sexable at hatch.

6. AWickedChicken

Sep 20, 2016
    Okay, thank you. That makes sense, I was wondering how it would look/work. At any rate I hope they'll be cute. Another question is even though they are developed and sold as laying hens, I've heard the next generation down aren't as good of layers and was wondering if they'd make okay meat birds?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by