What would be the youngest a EE could be sexed?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by The Critter Place, Oct 25, 2011.

1. The Critter Place

The Critter Place Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2011
    Tucson, Az.
    Hi Everyone,
    I'm very new to chickens, and we had one little beauty hatch about a week ago. I cannot have roo's here , and am praying it's a girl! How soon would we be able to tell?

Here's our sweetie! I named it 'Dandy'.

This picture is hatch day.. a few hours old.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 25, 2011
  2. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    By the time it is fully feathered I can sex most any Easter Egger. [​IMG] Don't worry, it won't crow til it is at least 3 months old, usually 5 months though.

3. SueBaby

SueBaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 14, 2011
    Oceanside, CA
    Without another same-age clutch mate you will probably have a harder time being sure. Somewhere around 6 weeks you should see if the comb is developing/reddening or not, but you might not. You might be able to search here for pics of EEs about the same age as yours later on and see what those chicks look like compared to yours. Chicken sexing can be very tricky, and EEs seem especially so. Good luck.

4. crusting

crusting Out Of The Brooder

Sep 21, 2009
    I have an almost 8 week old easter egger, and he started crowing A LOT this morning. So you could know by then.

5. The Critter Place

The Critter Place Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2011
    Tucson, Az.
    Hi Everyone!
    Thank you all for your suggestions and help!
    I will try and remember to get back later with an updated photo.

I kinda figured without others to compare it too it could be difficult. We ordered 6 eggs, but the mail man broke a few, and a few had detached air cells. so this is our little miracle baby.

Suebaby,
    I will try and do some searches tonight to see what we are in for. :) Thank you for the suggestion. In the excitement of all our babies, (quail) it didn't occur to me. lol...

I did run out the day after the hatch and got it a sex link baby for company. A week older, but they are doing good together.

One thing my family decided was we would hatch everything we have and take our chances on Roo's. We've raised other birds for years, and although we get a little attached, we've always been O.K. with finding them a home.

I just have very high hopes for this to be a hen being our first hatch.

Right now we have Serama and silkie in the bator, so plenty to keep us busy. lol..

Thanks again!

6. HappyPlace

HappyPlace Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 31, 2011
    Middle of the Mitten
    I actually tried feather sexing my chicks when I got them. I know you can't really go by that with EE's, but at 3 days old, I saw 5 roos, so I marked them. I should have sexed them at 1 day, but... Oh well. All 5 that were marked really were boys, although I missed 3 that were also boys. [​IMG] Still gave me a fair guess, at least. By a week old, if I hadn't marked the "boys", I wouldn't have been able to tell them from the girls.

It won't really help, but I had 2 that looked almost exactly the same as your little chick in coloring. One was a boy and a bit more grey and the other was a bit more black and, I have just truly figured out, is a girl... [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by