What would cause this type of stressed squawking in our hen?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by emmyemcaty, Feb 6, 2015.

1. emmyemcaty

emmyemcaty New Egg

Feb 6, 2015
    [​IMG]We have a golden laced wyandotte that was stuck under our chicken house (building set on beams). We found her because she was making this awful consistent long drawn out squawk. She moves her head up and out every time she does it. We separated her from the other in case this was an illness and gave her medicated chick starter and water. I cant tell that she has eaten, still sitting in the same spot, squawking. She can walk, my daughter brought her into the house and I took a video of her doing it. I feel a small lump along her windpipe about just above the top of her wings. Is this normal? Going to try to give her a baby aspirin this afternoon when I get home.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2015
  2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    [​IMG] Your video when clicked on comes up as 'This video is private'.

3. emmyemcaty

emmyemcaty New Egg

Feb 6, 2015
    I fixed it.
    Thanks

4. sourland

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    I'm not sure what is going on with her. My gut says that it is more injury or stress related and not very likely to be a disease problem. Other than keeping her quiet and trying to get some electrolytes into her, I have no suggestions. Hopefully someone will come along with better suggestions.

5. sourland

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    How is your hen?

6. emmyemcaty

emmyemcaty New Egg

Feb 6, 2015

This was after I had given her a baby aspirin dissolved in water. The sneeze concerned me so got her meds.

She is acting normal, but basically is completely hoarse. pecking around on the ground, drinking some. I am giving her oxytetracycline in case of respiratory and keeping her separated.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by