What would cause this? Warning Grahpic pics

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by dr8goons, Jul 1, 2008.

1. dr8goons

dr8goons Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    VA
    one of my chicks plucked the other egg and broke it when i got the chick out of the egg i noticed on its face it didnt have eyes in its face but there was a big nott were the two eyes are suppose to be it was kinda like it was just one big eyeball ontop of the head. what would cause this is it something i did or the breeding? this is what it looked like the other chicks in the bowel also got broke open by the chicks plucking on the eggs the black one looks like it didnt have room to free its head it was tight into its belly and the yellow one was free with no yolk sac or anything when the egg opened. any ideas what day they might have died? they were alive and healthy at 18 weeks candleing
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 2, 2008
  2. Lanissa86

Lanissa86 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2008
    San Antonio, TX
    Wow, sorry I can't help..but did you happen to get a pic? Sounds interesting..poor little chick, I am sure the experts will chime in on this one.

3. Lammie

Lammie Out Of The Brooder

Jun 25, 2008
    I think that sometimes things like that just happen. If it happens again, then you should look at your breeding, but honestly, it should not. Kinda like when someone has a two headed calf. That sort of thing will not repeat itself too many times in nature. You didn't do anything wrong.

A pic would be helpful, though. I had an egg eater that plucked out a chick's eyes as it was hatching once. I felt really bad about it.

4. Three Cedars Silkies

Three Cedars Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Apr 17, 2008
    Gainesville, Fl.
    I just had a chick hatched last weekend like that. I believe that it has to do with temperature issues around day 4-5. I know that I had a couple of temp spikes and I'm sure one of them was probably around that time.

I'm now keeping a log of temps/humidity every day so I can figure things like this out.

Funny thing is, my lone chick also pecked a hole in the egg. I think maybe they know something is wrong and that that the other chick can't pip/hatch.

5. dr8goons

May 23, 2008
    VA
    Could it be from the eggs being shipped? They came from a online hatcher. i know the temps didnt jump to much it stayed between 100 and 99.8 it only went up to 100.8 one day and i cut the thermasate back a tiny bit and it was fine.

6. LinckHillPoultry

LinckHillPoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2008
    Pennsylvania
    Was the chick in the egg the same age as the other chick?
    I know that sometimes when they are forming, if they break the chick forming in the egg has sockets but no eyes yet...?

7. dr8goons

May 23, 2008
    VA
    yes they where the same age

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by