What would do this?! **GRAPHIC PICS**

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Bettacreek, Mar 12, 2012.

1. Bettacreek

Bettacreek Overrun With Chickens

Jan 7, 2009
    Central Pennsyltucky
    This one has only this hole. Doesn't look like bones have been damaged, but I wasn't poking around in there. No other wounds that can be seen without dissection.

[​IMG]

Second bird
    [​IMG]

This is the same one as above
    [​IMG]

Third Bird
    [​IMG]

Fourth bird has no visible injuries. It looks like the hearts have been the target for whatever predator caused this. We've been having issues with the bear, it has destroyed bird feeders and recently demolished my feed crate that I had my duck feed locked in. However, we also have coyotes around too. We live in town, in a neighborhood, and it's rather odd to think of bears and crap in our area, but they're here. The scary thing is the fact that these birds were scattered in my yard, front yard and back yard. Whatever was after them wasn't starving, or it'd have eaten more than just the hearts out of these birds, and certainly wouldn't let a whole bird lay. I've had these ducks for just under a year (May of last year), and have never had a problem until now, besides the duck food. What worries me is the fact that the predator(s) must be quite bold, to com e between two houses, right next to a street and kill one of the ducks, and stick around in our yard long enough to kill four ducks. There are street lights, and our entire property is lighted by these street lights (we even have one in the back yard). So... Any ideas on what this menace is? I'm thinking that my next investment will be a shotgun? I can't use the 30-06 so close to buildings (can't really use a shotgun either, but our neighbors have used them for groundhogs, and wouldn't have a problem with me killing off something that is potentially dangerous.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2012
  2. dkosh

dkosh Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2010
    Eastern MA
    I haven't had any wounds like this before but I've had coyote attacks on my geese. They were carried off and eaten out in our orchard leaving nothing but some feathers. I have heard that weasles will kill only going for the blood and not eating the actual bird. Maybe it is a weasle of some sort.

3. duckinnut

duckinnut Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2010
    Marshfield, Ma.
    Weasel,mink,stoat,ferret line of work

4. jdemars

jdemars Out Of The Brooder

Mar 12, 2012
    have not had this problem, but some friends had this same type of thing and it ended up being a fisher not sure if you have these in your area but i'd check cause if you do it could end up being a big problem. they had to put electric fence in for their chickens to get rid of them

5. X2

I would guess weasel or mink

6. chadrodeo05

chadrodeo05 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 24, 2010
    Sorry to hear about your chickens.We have had something doing the samething.Last year about this time also. Just the heads were gone.I kept them up for weeks and never saw anything once we kept up all the time.So much for FREE range I guess.Just over weekend we lost 3 roos that were staying seperate from the girls.They were not bothered inside.I hope to catch this monster!!!I've hears skunks will kill also.

7. Bettacreek

Bettacreek Overrun With Chickens

Jan 7, 2009
    Central Pennsyltucky
    Hmm. Fishers are around here. Harder to kill than a coyote or bear though... Don't have a trapping license. I'll have to see if the neighbor will let me use the live trap.

8. GableBabble

GableBabble Ninja Chicken Herder

May 27, 2010

x2

9. archerobx

archerobx Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2009
    Pa
    I live out by pittsburgh and you don't need a lic to trap nuisance animals. Says it on the game commission website.

10. nzpouter

nzpouter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2009
    new zealand

this....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by