What would eat just the breast?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by birdnutz, Nov 27, 2008.

1. birdnutz

birdnutz Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2007
    wyoming
    My ex brother in law is having problems with some thing killing and eating just the breast of chickens,ducks and pilgrim geese. Any ideas what this could be? This is out on the grasslands. So it has to be some kind of dry land predator. Hawk maybe?

2. lurky

lurky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2007
    Western MA
    Looks like nobody dares to touch this one [​IMG] Guess we'll have to wait for PC [​IMG]

3. nnbreeder

nnbreeder Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2008
    Oklahoma
    It's been my experiance that a Hawk will do this and yes they can take full grown geese.

4. CrowinKing

CrowinKing Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 29, 2007
    PA
    I'm gonna say hawk as well!

5. Zookeeper9000

Zookeeper9000 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2008
    Gladstone MI
    Racoon will eat just the breast meat.

6. birdnutz

birdnutz Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2007
    wyoming
    Thanks everyone for the replies. I was also thinking hawk,but I figured they'd eat more of the bird. I'm doubtful about raccooms since they live out on the grasslands. But anything is possiable. There are lots of hawks and eagles out there though. Everything from goldens to kestrals. Anyone heard of a humongous hawk? I hadn't before I went to the raptor rescue. They're as big as an eagle. Also very rare I heard.

7. Poohbear

Poohbear On a Time Out

Nov 12, 2008
    Texas
    Horned-Owls will eat breast from a grown chicken. He will usually come back evry night or every other night in the early morning hours.

8. scgamecock

scgamecock Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2008
    Conway SC
    A opossum will doit too.

9. TexasVet

TexasVet Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2008
    Willis TX
    My money's on the possum. They're smaller than racoons, so they tend to eat their prey where they kill it. Racoons will grab the bird and run.

I've found the best thing to do is set a trap near the coop, bait it with dry dog food and/or chicken parts (tied to the cage), and then cover it with hay so it looks like a den. This works so well that last week I caught two coons and a possum in three days. You can see the varmints and the trap I use here: http://www.countrychickens.com/country_chickens_4_006.htm

Traps
    aren't cheap, but they cost less than constantly replacing your birds.

Kathy in Texas

10. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Quote:[​IMG]....ooh..i can just hear it now....[​IMG]..

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by