1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What would get them all agitated?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by PlymouthRocker, Oct 15, 2009.

1. PlymouthRocker

PlymouthRocker Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2009
    Plymouth County MA
    Today I heard my 23 girls cackling up a storm. They went on for about 5 minutes. I went to the window and saw all of them looking one way, but I couldn't see what was in their line of sight. By the time I got to the other window, I thought I saw a cat go into my daughter's playhouse.

The girls wouldn't stop fussing, so I ran downstairs and grabbed a broom to take with me outside. By the time I got to the playhouse, whatever it was had taken off. I told the girl in the run and then the coop and to be quiet. I was surprised when they all stopped squawking. Not another peep out of them.

My question is this: would a stray cat get them all riled up like that?

2. sred98

sred98 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2008
    Oklahoma
    Anything out of the ordinary would. I could see a cat causing that much anxiety, especially if you don't have a cat they are used to being around. Mine are the same way...once I come out and see what's causing the fuss, everyone calms down.

Hopefully that's all it was!

Shelly

3. CHIC

CHIC Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2009
    Roanoke
    Mine get that way sometimes about hawks and such.

4. ThePamperedPullet

ThePamperedPullet Chillin' With My Peeps

We swear ours do that when an ant crosses the pens. Ours will growl when any type of predator comes around. We have two guard dogs and we just think the growling is imitating what the dogs should be doing.

5. PlymouthRocker

PlymouthRocker Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2009
    Plymouth County MA
    The girls are oblivious to the hawks when they are in the run. I did see them all looking in the same direction - towards the playhouse. We have indoor cats, but I do see strays in our yard from time to time.

Thanks for the feedback. I was struck most by how I was able to calm them down immediately. I guess I only have a strong-willed kid, not strong-willed chickens. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by